Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
We loved the one on our old 28. Great spot to be on a nice day.

100_0007.JPG

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make

voodoojfb

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
22' Tripp CC
how about this setup?

This wesmac looks pretty sick but it is also 46 feet long. I think a tower on a smaller size boat say less than 35 feet sort of looks weird. But I really do like the idea of an upper helm station for an improved view of the water. Not to hijack the thread but what are some thoughts on flybridge vs tower on a down east hull. I would love to hear some opinions on the advantages and disadvantages on both keeping in mind form must meet function.

zinn dog.jpg

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.
Last edited:

F/V Sophia Rose

Lieutenant
Boat Make
32 Holland
So at the boothbay races i was rafted up to a guy, and his brother had the tower that was originally built for my boat. I went over to see it the following day and it was on my boat monday afternoon. I absolutely love the thing, its great up there!! Whats everyone else thing of towers, or have pictures of them? Dont see too many out there on downeasters.

Got to love chance meetings like that one. We are running one on the film boat for the races. Great view point. I like running the boat from up there but not sure Id keep the tower otherwise. We will see how much difference it makes tuna fishing this season. Seems like more people run them in MA and NY on charter and tuna/sword boats but guys that lobster dont have much need for one.

get-attachment.aspx.jpg

Last edited:

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
Towers are obviously essential for harpooning, and sometimes useful for trolling, but man the rock & roll can get old if you've been out there for a while....I know no shortage of guys who have either removed their towers altogether or replaced them with flybridges & radar archs. One guy had a 33' YB and the damn thing must have had a 25 ft. tower on it. I should have taken a picture of that boat when it still had the tower & pulpit. I went up there once at the dock, and all I had to do was shift my weight over to one foot, and over the boat went. I saw her out fishing one day, and it didn't look like fun to me. He showed up a few years later with a new tower about 1/3rd the height...and then again a few years after that with no tower at all.

It's really a nice thing to have in nice weather conditions, but just like having a lot of speed in a DE, how often can you really use it?

Last edited:

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
This wesmac looks pretty sick but it is also 46 feet long. I think a tower on a smaller size boat say less than 35 feet sort of looks weird. But I really do like the idea of an upper helm station for an improved view of the water. Not to hijack the thread but what are some thoughts on flybridge vs tower on a down east hull. I would love to hear some opinions on the advantages and disadvantages on both keeping in mind form must meet function.

I've given this subject quite a bit of thought.
The NICEST cleanest looking DEs are ones without a tower or flybridge.

I ran my 28 Betram Flybridge for 17 years. You could NOT get a better view for scenery and navigating, but you were isolated and had stairs.

Moving to the hardtop/combi I have now visibility is not as good, but I cannot/would not give up being in the 1st floor.

Back to the DEs, if I end up with one and wanted an upper station, I'd lean toward a very low profile flybridge, just high enough to keep the wind off your legs.

No muss,no fuss, no canvas. just a seat and controls.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
We had an 18' tower on our H&H40 which was pretty sweet for fishing.

I always did wonder how much better the ride would have been without it though.

I also did hate snaking cables up in the tower legs, especially because everything was full. That hydraulic steering took up both of the back legs.

I would be very interested in a simple flybridge, such as you see on the Nantucket boats. I think just getting away and being with an open view is worth it, put up a few comfortable chairs and there you go.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Towers are one of two things, eye candy or a tool.if its a tool, you must have it and if it's eye candy you need to determine what the drawbacks are to having one and then figure out if it's worth the cost. I have had a tower for 20 years and have spent more time in that than on deck , if I didnt need it I wouldn't have it.

Super Suck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Lasco 5' fiberglass
Plowin, how many people does it take to move that tower around? I sold a mast tower over the winter and needed 4 guys to move it, a lot heavier than I remembered.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I can tell you this, I'd rather be sitting in a tower today chasing bluefin that at home waiting for my boat to sell so I can buy a boat with a tower... ha...

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Super the mast tower is significantly lighter and less cumbersome than a full tower do to it being 7 or so feet shorter in height. Most al the real weight is at the bottom of the tower because that is where the largest material is. The tower is easily moved with three people, one person on each leg and one on the base. Hope this helps.

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
Theres a couple stick boats in newburyport with towers ang flybridges that look killer...both 38 Hollands.... "impulse" and "high test"

I think I know at least one of the boats you're talking about....I like to refer to those types of rigs as "gentlemen's stickboats". Not a knock on harpooners, just some of those boats are finished at a higher level than normal commercial boats.

Super the mast tower is significantly lighter and less cumbersome than a full tower do to it being 7 or so feet shorter in height. Most al the real weight is at the bottom of the tower because that is where the largest material is. The tower is easily moved with three people, one person on each leg and one on the base. Hope this helps.

So that would be a tower that is mounted on the wheelhouse roof? Most of the mast towers I worked around were mounted to the cockpit floor just aft of the house, making them longer/higher in total than a four-legged structure.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Here's mine before and after the restore. The bridge is much better for what I do and 1/4 of the wieght.

disney 465.jpg

piece of shit 323.jpg

Latest Posts

Top Bottom