Towing Boston Whaler ?

TwoRivers

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM Flyepointe 32' 1989
I have a 1988 32 BHM 210hp 5.9 BT Cummins. I am thinking about purchasing a 13 to 17 foot Boston Whaler to tow behind boat. This would be used on the Arkansas river. How much weight etc. can I safely tow with my boat ? Where would the tow lines be attached to the boat ? Would the rear dock line cleats on each side be strong enough to tow ?
Thanks
TwoRivers

Last edited:

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
You don't have a lot of power but I don't see a problem with that small of a boat....what gear ratio is your tranny ?the higher the reduction the better.....at slow tow speed you wont even know your towing her......you want to use a Y type of bridle for this type of tow

Last edited:

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
I have a 13 foot whaler and with weighs almost nothing i do not beelieve you would have a problem. It could be a little squirly behind the boat though.

blinsquirrel

Lieutenant Commander
13 foot whaler

Used to tow a 13' whaler behind a 30' Sisu no problem. Made a "Y" bridle...rope off each stern cleat of the Sisu..single lead off the bow of the whaler(trailer eye)...used to tow that thing around at 16kts....just don't slow down too quick or you'll have a new stern ramp on your boat.

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
Absolutely use a Y style bridle, you will have to play with the length until you find the best length which will vary with speed. I would also clip the tow rope not to the bow cleat of the whaler but to the trailer "cleat" not sure of the exact term for the U.

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
Not sure of your experience in the sort of thing, so forgive me if this is stating the obvious- the Y set up will be a must because otherwise the whaler will be swaying like crazy behind you- but you also want to make sure you leave yourself plenty of rope to adjust the distance of the whaler behind you.

If you do come up to cruising speed you'll drop the whaler back far enough so that its behind your main wake (can't think of a better way to describe it). At slower speeds, bringing the whaler back closer to you will make maneuvering much easier.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

longislander89

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
23 seacraft
Your biggest concern will be the safety and secirty of the whaler. The BHM will be fine. My guess is that on the river you wont have any major waves besides boat wakes.

Make sure the bow eye on the whaler is secure like others have said. I would also remove all gear from the whaler when towing. Maybe position the fuel tank and battery way aft to keep the bow up.

What do you guys think of keeping the engine down for traction and stabiltiy.

I recall a story of a capt. flipping a big contender or or intrepid behind a huge sporty by towing with the motors up. It got going and turtled.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
I tow my 18' privateer behind my 35jc. When i do i usually only go between 8-12knts. Using a y bridle is a must. I also determine the length of the ridle by my wake. I set the privateer aprrox 2-3 wakes back and have the privateer ride on the forward down side of the center wake. This way when under way the boat is actually almost surfing down hill the entire time of tow. This takes almost all the strain off the bridle, towline and the boat doing the towing. Saves on fuel burn and load that you put on the towing vessel.

Mind you i only have a 320hp cat in the 35jc and once up to desired cruise speed the boat doesnt even know its towing.

Tuckerman

Captain
Boat Make
22 webber cove
If you're looking to use a "classic " whaler , check bow eye like El Mar said or fab some type of towing bit. If bow eye is the slightest bit loose you'll have a hole pretty quick

TwoRivers

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM Flyepointe 32' 1989
MD145 and others !
My transmission is a BorgWarner Velvet Drive Model 10-18-010 gear ratio 2.57.1. Of course I dont know what gear ratio means ?
Thanks Guys
Randy

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
With a 2.5 to 1 gear reduction you will not feel any drag.......but like someone else said...be careful when you slow down.....have a big bumper ready..lol

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Your 2.57:1 ratio means that the engine will turn 2.57 rotations for every 1 rotation of the shaft.

A 3:1 means that the engine will turn 3 times and the shaft will rotate once.

A 1:1 means that the shaft turns one rotation for every engine revolution.

DBM

Commander
Lite User

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I towed a 13' Whaler a few times. I found, even with a bridle it yawed badly unless the outboard was left down. The towing resistance was very high. It threatened to come through the transom when moved in close for manovering and catch on every piling w/ its sq. bow. It pounded badly in a seaway, just like when you ride in one, loosening the railings and seats.

I can't think of a worse dinghy to tow IMHO.

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
Reminds me one day when a 60"motor yacht was going out of Hyannis harbor. I saw the tow rope with his tender sideways upside down with outboard prop sticking up. I pointed to him to look back, when they did what must have been the wife, hit him on the head and started screaming at him LOL

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Reminds me one day when a 60"motor yacht was going out of Hyannis harbor. I saw the tow rope with his tender sideways upside down with outboard prop sticking up. I pointed to him to look back, when they did what must have been the wife, hit him on the head and started screaming at him LOL
That's it....go fast and never look back......and they have no regard for anyone

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom