Trans question about twin disc

Sigarm

Lieutenant
I have a weak zf trans bolted to a cummins 6bt 210 some one at my marina has a old twin disc 506 off a Detroit 6-71 thats good are the 506 capable of running in both forward and reverse or are they direction specific any help is Appreciated

Sigarm

Lieutenant
Going to look at the 506 this Friday it was made in 1977 so over 30 years old hopefully not a Square back

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Great gear but too much gear for a 210 Cummins. If you go TD go with a 520TD. TD gears are much larger that ZF so your rear mounts will also be an issue. I would stick with the ZF.

Sigarm

Lieutenant
It is a 220 gear has been great just tired was looking for a cheap way out but the best thing is to keep what is there and rebuild guy offered me the trans for short money but it is half the size of my engine thank for the other trans model

pugsley

Captain
It is a 220 gear has been great just tired was looking for a cheap way out but the best thing is to keep what is there and rebuild guy offered me the trans for short money but it is half the size of my engine thank for the other trans model

there are guys here with 25-30,000 hours on their 220s and never had a problem, just wondering what makes you think it's tired? i had a small problem with mine, and everyone said it was shot, (including zf) at 3500 hours, replaced with a brand new gear, then i found someone who knew exactly what was wrong with my old one and fixed it for $80. anyhow at least i have a spare now. ;)

Sigarm

Lieutenant
Beginning of last season trans was slow to go between Reverse to Forward but not forward to reverse I was about 15 hours past oil change figured dirty oil clogged screen/filter did Maintenance took boat out within 15 mins engine running hot pulled back and cheack heat exchanger could smell trans the cooler is before heat exchanger on this setup couldn't even touch trans good flow out the exhaust so not a blocked cooler cleaned it anyway no Difference in flow checked level and drained look and smelled burnt now the trans sounds a little louder underway could be me Tho if I hotshot the Throttles it feels like it is slipping Total Hours About 6500 there use to be a zf dealer off Jefferson blvd in warwick ri but heard they left a few years ago probably goin have ri engine in point Judith due the work unless it seems really easy to due myself going to pull gear once I get and read thru repair Manual and put a pressure gauge to it again thanks for the help

pugsley

Captain
Beginning of last season trans was slow to go between Reverse to Forward but not forward to reverse I was about 15 hours past oil change figured dirty oil clogged screen/filter did Maintenance took boat out within 15 mins engine running hot pulled back and cheack heat exchanger could smell trans the cooler is before heat exchanger on this setup couldn't even touch trans good flow out the exhaust so not a blocked cooler cleaned it anyway no Difference in flow checked level and drained look and smelled burnt now the trans sounds a little louder underway could be me Tho if I hotshot the Throttles it feels like it is slipping Total Hours About 6500 there use to be a zf dealer off Jefferson blvd in warwick ri but heard they left a few years ago probably goin have ri engine in point Judith due the work unless it seems really easy to due myself going to pull gear once I get and read thru repair Manual and put a pressure gauge to it again thanks for the help

you really can't work on them, parts are very high, but mine was shifting a little funny before it quit. check the pressure relief valve spring, that was the problem with mine, it broke into three pieces, i wish i knew it before i bought a new one. it's right there on the shift valve. if that is your problem, it is very very east

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Roger on that about the ZF parts. Had Wayne and Hunt go through one of my 280's that had run almost dry at idle a few years ago and clutch packs were OK but there was some bullshit part that needed replacing and it cost so much that for about another $1000 I could have just bought a brand new gear. What exactly was your gear doing before it quit shifting? One of mine makes a clunking sound going into gear sometimes.

pugsley

Captain
Roger on that about the ZF parts. Had Wayne and Hunt go through one of my 280's that had run almost dry at idle a few years ago and clutch packs were OK but there was some bullshit part that needed replacing and it cost so much that for about another $1000 I could have just bought a brand new gear. What exactly was your gear doing before it quit shifting? One of mine makes a clunking sound going into gear sometimes.

it was just shifting slow, and had a pressure drop, i think it usually runs like 320 lbs, and it dropped to like 260-280, i guess that was the first break in the spring, when the spring broke the second time that was all she wrote.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Thanks; Pressure is a little bit low on that gear of mine too, maybe 25 or 30 pounds less than the other one, which is newer and has not had any problems so far.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom