Transducer Location

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
So I've been thinking about something, which usually cost me about $1,000 per thought. I've noticed it has been minor little tweaks that have helped my fishing ability out and I think I am onto another one.

I love sounders/fish finders, maybe that should be my bumper sticker? I think I can remember everyone I've ever had. When I was only about 6 or 8 years old my Dad bought a HUGE Koden I believe 8" on a Tiara 26, so big the unit had to go in the cabin, mid 80's now, insane but that's what they did. Didn't seem like much other place to put such a big unit back then. I remember my next one was a Lowrance paper machine and boy did I love that, minus hunting around for the paper. Then moved up to another Lorwance X-series. Finally in 1996 I got to pick out my first one for the boat which was like getting a set of keys to a new car. I picked out the old Furuno 667 (hopefully I'm not off by a digit) and put it on our Luhrs 32 at the time. I remember when I first got it, dropping balloons under the water dragging them under the transducer with line and weights to see what things looked like. I remember fishing and how awesome that unit was and how I really got to learn it. That is when I finally realized that a great sounder makes a huge difference. Since then I've always had a standalone unit and always will. On our big H&H40 we had a 8" Sitex/Koden that was great. Sadly the first year we owned the boat the electronics were stolen off of it. I ended up replacing it with the Furuno FCV-1100, which I believe was replaced by the FCV-295. What a unit that was, loved it with the transducer, could pick up fish to 20knots, wow amazing unit. On this boat I have a DS600X RayMarine unit but really tweaked out with a great Airmar transducer and nice fairing block, again can pick up fish during cruise which is always been a good thing for me. Recently though I think the time is coming to replace it.

So I've been a tuna fisherman since I could look over the gunnel and have pictures of me probably being from 1985 with baby bluefin, skipjacks etc. Since 1994 I've been a canyon fisherman and it wasn't until 2001 that I became a bluefin fisherman. In that I've never been a chunker, except in the canyons. So now I found myself chunking up in Cape Cod Bay. One critical thing I always wonder about is where my bait actually is in the current, we can have a good idea but never tell for sure.

So I was thinking in the past two downeast boats I have had, because there is so much room, they have just always put the transducer right below the helm area, nice place, roomy, keel doesn't get in the way etc. So here I was thinking about this. I know you like to have the transducer forward of the intakes and forward of the prop too, why its located where it is anyways. The thing is, really hard to mark your own bait here. I was thinking about mounting a transducer near the back of the hull, so when I put my bait in, lets say maybe do it up current to get it under the transducer I can tell where the bait is actually in the water column.

I was thinking about adding a second transducer, just leaving one plugged in at a time. I see the new flush mount transducer's would be perfect, since I would be running with it anyways, just for drifting/anchored fishing.

Granted too I could go to Bass Pro shops and buy $99 eagle and run it off my 12v plug but sometimes that just isnt as much fun.

Yes, I'm Shawn and I have a small problem with addiction to fishing...

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Kid in a candy store! What a winter project for sure.

So I ordered a FCV-620 today with a in the hull transducer, the small 600w one. I figure that should get me through the last two weeks or three weeks of the season here. I was going to get the transom mount for right now and just mount it off a piece of wood.

I think the thing I like is if this work's I may put it in the back of the transom so when I chunk I can see my bait better. I am still going to put in my thruhull with temp and fairing block.

I really like that posting and wondering if I might be able to do the same thing. Knowing where my bait's are comparing them to the chum is a key factor too.

Thanks El Mar!

Top Bottom