transducer options for small DE

chesboater

Ensign
Hi,

We have a 2002 Rosborough seaskiff 22. Power is 115 4S yamaha on the transom.

Planning to install a Garmin 740 and wondering about transducer type/placement. I'm debating in hull (solid core) or transom mounted on a piece of starboard 5100'd to the transom (no holes).

What setup are you guys using on small outboard powered boats?

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
I have done both shoot thru hull transducers and transom mount. The shoot thru's are great. Keeps transom clear of anything hanging off the back and no holes.
Downside: Every time I had to put a new machine on the boat it meant custom ordering a new transducer(if available) for the machine of choice cause usually the old machine was out of date. Also I was running out of room in the bilge to mount another transducer.

My latest machine a Lowrance HD5, i decided to just 5200 a piece of starboard to the transom and mount the transducer to the block. Except for now having a transducer hanging off the back of the boat(Im getting used to very quickly) I love it.
If i ever have to replace its a simple swap with no holes in the transom.

WARNING: If you go shoot thru transducer. You have to make sure there are no air pockets in the glass where you are planning on mounting otherwise your signal will be weak or not work at all.

Good luck with your choice.

DBthal

Lieutenant Commander
Transom Mount

chesboater,

I've been looking into the best methods for transom mounting a transducer. Here are some websites with information that I found helpful:

http://www.sternsaver.com/
http://www.sternmate.com/Where.html

I've read that in order to have a really secure bond to starboard, the board needs to be "keyed". It needs to have some grooves or other mechanical method for the glue to hold onto the starboard since few adhesives will bond well to that material.

Dan

Last edited:

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
The side that is 5200'ed to hull I scratched up real good and lightly sanded the hull. So far its holding strong. I even went out to the boat this morning and grabbed the starboard and pulled on it. All i did was make the trailer springs go up and down. If you want I can take some photos when I leave work.

Top Bottom