transducer options for small DE

chesboater

Ensign
Hi,

This is also posted on the Marine Electronics section. Hoping to learn from the folks running small DE style boats.

We have a 2002 Rosborough seaskiff 22. Power is 115 4S yamaha on the transom.

Planning to install a Garmin 740 and wondering about transducer type/placement. I'm debating in hull (solid core) or transom mounted on a piece of starboard 5100'd to the transom (no holes).

What setup are you guys using on small outboard powered boats?

Tuckerman

Captain
Boat Make
22 webber cove
I have a 22 webbers cove with a yam 150. I have a bronze airmar tilted element thru hull in mine.

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
Hi,

This is also posted on the Marine Electronics section. Hoping to learn from the folks running small DE style boats.

We have a 2002 Rosborough seaskiff 22. Power is 115 4S yamaha on the transom.

Planning to install a Garmin 740 and wondering about transducer type/placement. I'm debating in hull (solid core) or transom mounted on a piece of starboard 5100'd to the transom (no holes).

What setup are you guys using on small outboard powered boats?

Make sure you buy the Garmin 740S, the 740 does not have the transducer capability. I have a 7402 with a transom mounted transducer and I love it. I have thought about going to the through hull, if you decide on the through hull I would love to hear some feedback.

fishtheblock

Commander
Boat Make
28TJ
I went through this last season and settled on the Garmin 740 as well. Already had a through hull transducer that was quite old single color but worked. I went through the whole transome/through/in hull debate. Decided to go with the least intrusive "in hull" method. mounted it, filled it with mineral oil, and locked the top on.
I was skeptical about the method but its works really well, better then my through hull. You can tell what your looking at much better, differentiate debris from fish easily. A friend went with the through hull and theres no difference between readings.

just don't go transom mount.

Ld Marine Products

Lieutenant
Thru hull I think is best never transom mount not a fan of shot thru mounts cuz if hull isn't solid air pocket etc. it will not read clear just my thoughts.

FVSD

Lieutenant Commander
Bronze thru hull is best bet for 600w. Cheap transom mounted transducers will give you poor performance. Shoot thru works well if you have a solid hull and want a 1kw but you need to make sure nothing like a thru hull is head of it to disrupt water flow. One thing to remember you probably won't to 100% satisfied until you have a 1kw.

Top Bottom