Transom Door's

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Okay, not going to bore everyone with the typical transom door questions. I know I need to put one in, more for getting on the boat everyday than for tuna, although I wish different.

Working on ships, we go to cut out a bulkhead or deck, we basically have to put the same amount of material that we cut out, around where we cut. Whether we double it up, or any other thing we do to it.

So why have since the dawn of me realizing this, do I question cutting a door out of my transom and especially breaking the covering board across the stern. Sure I absolutely know it gets done to every boat, some boats do not even have transoms, etc.

Why do I just think its weakening the structure? Sure I know boats that are from the 70's that are fine but just very curious... Perhaps because I only have one bulkhead in my boat, lol...

Live Wire

Lieutenant
Boat Make
38'wesmac
tuna door for the elderly

My other boats had a tuna door, and how nice, for fishing and entering boat. My new DE boat never had one installed but would love to have one.I mostly do canyon fishing ,so 99% of catch can be lifted over the gunnel,but sometimes I go tuna wishing off Chatham and if I ever caught a real one would be in trouble.I could also use a door for entering our dinghy,as we cruise the Bahama's in the winter.Only counting the days that me or my wife will go on our ass climbing in or out over the gunnel
does any one (around Martha's Vineyard) specialize in this,how long,how much???

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I'm in also for a local builder - Falmouth or MV - that will do this right. I have the same issue - I was the boat tied up next to you in OB last weekend and I can't get rid of my swim platform till I grow a door!

My ex marina whom I parted ways with quoted 9K which seemed absurd.

tashmoo2

Commander
There are 2 issues that would concern me on my boat.

1. Finding hinges. I've seen some really terrible custom hinges to get the transom to close and open straight

2. Height of deck about waterline

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
The slide in door looks like a simple solution to me, only thing i would do is left the gunnel cap on it so it would look like the rest of the cap. Make the track out of some nice stainless strips. Add a chain or line to the door so it doesn't get lost.
attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Wow this thread took off...

Perhaps we can all get in on a 3 transom door builder? LOL I will do my own this fall, for this summer I have a large block and tackle.

I like the slanted slope, but only thing worries me is I always want to have it for boarding charter customers at the dock, worried somoene might try to step on the slanted part, could also do a fill in piece...

Ahh the pull in/out door... watch out for that, I remember Luhrs had that one some of their 29's I think at one point... We'll its funny when need to call them for a replacement door because someone dropped it...

Larry, 9K over at that marina... insane... why I left in 2001/2002...

Livewire, I think you need it for those state record fish!

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
Sorry for not getting back but we went to the boat Wednesday afternoon and just got back. Last of the inshore trips. We had dock partys every night.
Today was clean up the the boat and start the transition to offshore fishing. Have a shark trip next weekend. Then it is take the fighting station off the boat and drop the chair on the stanchion. The outriggers will go on the boat this week and we are good to go for tuna fishing.

Ronnie,

Yes, the angle has to due with the height of the deck above the water. The bottom of the ramp is at the water line. Get the fish's head on the ramp backdown a little on in it comes. Not like you have to flood the cockpit like on the sportfish to get the fish in.

Shawn,

The builder's put covers on the ramps so people can step on or walk over when fighting a fish (see picture below). BUT most builders's don't put floation on the under side of the cover. When the shit hits the fan of getting the fish in the boat covers are lost overboard. Never to be seen again. When Kenny Flower built my boat he put floation under the cover. It floats I have tested it.

IMG_0519.jpg

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Not to derail it any more, does anyone have a good thread on how to make the fishbox, mainly a good cover, I see a few things but just curious... ?

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Anyone else notice the extra support to the base of the swivel rod holders? I Like that!

I got the same thing on every one of my holders.

FL Marine Plastics

Lieutenant
Not to derail it any more, does anyone have a good thread on how to make the fishbox, mainly a good cover, I see a few things but just curious... ?

What about making the cover out of non skid starboard. It would probably be more cost effective that a glass one by the time you purchase core material and mat etc.

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
Two more pictures that show ramp and cover:

First picture shows the buildt ramp.

The second picture shows the floatation buildt in under the ramp cover so it floats. Two other things to look at in the picture:

One, look under 2013 in the picture, on the cooler is the handle of the Flush Hatch Lift (Hamilton Marine 2013 page 161) for the ramp cover. It lasted eight years. The fix, take the the lift plate off. Get a stainless cotter pin that fits the holes in the handle and plate. Bend the cotter pin straight, hammer as need and cut it to length just inside the back two screw holes.

Two, the piece of 300 lb. mono around the rod holder, the piece sticking up above the ramp cover plus a few more behind the ramp cover are used to stick down the spinal cord of tuna to relax the muscles before it goes into the saltwater brine. Those were from tuna for home consumption so the mono was put in a little bleech and water and were out drying before being put back in the 2 gal. zip lock bag.

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
Boat Make
33 Flowers.
Top Bottom