Transom issue

mako69

1st Mate
Gents- I hope I'm not stepping out of bounds here on the DEBF. I'm looking to help my 15 yr old son out with his 1st boat... 2002 21 Parker CC... I went to look today and the boat shows its age, as I expected..

I noticed what appears to be delamination on the transom and cracks on the deck. Seems common to older Parkers...

Also, the 20 yr old aluminum gas tank appears good ( no odor of gas) but is a concern.

Has anyone dealt with Parker transom issue?

Thoughts on the gas tank?

Any help would be appreciated, the kid is just looking for a bay boat ...

Thanks,
Tim Resized_20221115_142116.jpeg Resized_20221115_142346.jpeg

Maestro

Deckhand
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
Nauset
Absolutely out of bounds!

Just kidding, Parker’s are made in my neck of the woods. The guy I get my lumber from actually used to live next door. They apparently use the cheapest ply they can find. You should also check the stringers and I’d take a moisture meter to see where you have rot.

If the transom is bad it may not be worth it to fix unless you got the boat for a steal or are just looking for a winter project. This book will also be your best friend. You can buy it or view it free here https://www.westsystem.com/wp-content/uploads/GougeonBook-061205-1.pdf

Quik Fix 16

Admiral
Boat Make
Shamrock
Serenity charter, you live in Carteret County. Guy lived next door on Harkers Island? Yoeman Bros by any chance. Thay lived next to Linwood Parker where the Parker boats started.

Maestro

Deckhand
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
Nauset
Serenity charter, you live in Carteret County. Guy lived next door on Harkers Island? Yoeman Bros by any chance. Thay lived next to Linwood Parker where the Parker boats started.
I’m in Emerald Isle, the fella lived in HI I believe. Works in Newport now (impulse trading company) I’m not sure what his name is but he can drive the hell out of a forklift lol

Maestro

Deckhand
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
Nauset
I am in E.I. also. Been here since 86. You have one of those trailer boat charters?
For now unfortunately, I’m trying to do fishing for a year or so until the insurance is happy then move on to doing dive charters on a Nauset I’m purchasing.
I moved here full time in 2017 after coming up here all my life. Now Unfortunately I only live here about 40% of the time due to work.

Maestro

Deckhand
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
Nauset
I'm in the canal just East of the state boat ramp. Can't miss me next time you have nothing better to do.
I’ll be sure to wave hello next time I cruise through! You oughta hop aboard the nauset when she’s done

johnp

1st Mate
Boat Make
Eastern Casco Bay 31" Parker 1801 CC
I have a Parker 1801 CC that had some similar issues. I wedged open the de laminated areas, cleaned off the caulk patch and wedged open the layers to dry. It had de laminated only a couple inches in so I injected West Systems Six - 10 epoxy and clamped it with a series of clamps. The wedging was done with a series of screw drivers. You need to remove that hatch in the picture and see how bad the plys are separated around the opening. It can be repaired if not de laminated over a large area

mako69

1st Mate
I have a Parker 1801 CC that had some similar issues. I wedged open the de laminated areas, cleaned off the caulk patch and wedged open the layers to dry. It had de laminated only a couple inches in so I injected West Systems Six - 10 epoxy and clamped it with a series of clamps. The wedging was done with a series of screw drivers. You need to remove that hatch in the picture and see how bad the plys are separated around the opening. It can be repaired if not de laminated over a large area
Thank you... I passed on this boat due to its issues

kapnd

1st Mate
My dock neighbor has a Parker, both gunnels are soft and core is rotting away. We pulled a couple of rod holders, not pretty! He’s convinced that shooting them full of Gorilla glue is going to be a permanent fix, I wish him good luck…

s'wester

Deckhand
Transoms and fuel tanks are like scabs the more you pick away...

I have removed all the foam and re-done the deck and transom on my 1987 Parker Sou'Wester. I did not do them at the same time which I regret. Do the transom from the inside when you rip the deck off.

There is no reason you cant remove the deck, pull the tank and re-do the transom over the winter as long as you have some sort of shelter to keep the boat in. Do it right and do it once, you both will learn a lot and have a boat you trust.

The alternative is not worth it.

Top Bottom