transport of 25' BHM

reeg75

Lieutenant
Just wondering if there is any suggestions on preparing a boat for transport by road. Thanks

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Just wondering if there is any suggestions on preparing a boat for transport by road. Thanks

If its going from one land location to another land locatioin, I would make sure anything that could hit low tree branches or wires etc is removed or folded down such as a antenna or whatever could hit. Fold in Davit if it has one. Another good thing is turn off the automatic bilge pump. The boat hauler might point out things if he notices anything that could cause problems.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
tie and pad everything down, load it up with whatever you need to haul home with the boat, straps on the bow, midship and stern. Mine went from Rockport to Seattle then on a barge to Alaska with no problems, i just wish i would of loaded the cabin up with more boat stuff that i can't find here.

SS trailer truck chris2.jpg

SS with Chris truck.jpg

SS trailer truck chris2.jpg

SS with Chris truck.jpg

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
tie and pad everything down, load it up with whatever you need to haul home with the boat, straps on the bow, midship and stern. Mine went from Rockport to Seattle then on a barge to Alaska with no problems, i just wish i would of loaded the cabin up with more boat stuff that i can't find here.

Steve, When your hauling locally in AK do you still use all those straps?

If i'm only going from the ramp to the storage lot, about 1/2 mile no straps, when i haul the boat home, aprox 100 miles, it a strap on the bow and one across the stern. The line going to midship cleat is a spring line to keep boat from backing off trailer when first pulling up the ramp.
SS following truck.jpg

SS trailer at tunnel.jpg

boat trailer 7.jpg

SS following truck.jpg

SS trailer at tunnel.jpg

boat trailer 7.jpg

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Frank

Commander
Cover the forward facing windows to protect them from sandblasting and chips.

If possible transport with empty fuel and water tanks. The less weight bouncing down the road the better.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Steve, when you /they made your trailer did you put the boat on and use stands to level so you could measure and cut the Vertical supports ? Or was it all done by dimensions from the drawings ? Nice looking rig the Snow Squall.

Old,

One of the hulls I'm assessing to build out is the 29 H&H. I'd consider a trailer under the boat as Steve did. I've had many conversations with Steve and the folks @ Load Master trailers out in Ohio.

Steve's trailer was built @ the Load Master factory in Ohio. (the 29 was in Gloucester Ma.)

H&H in Steuben provided some measurements of the hull etc. The trailer was shipped to MA. Steve had Rose Marine (or somebody in Gloucester) "custom fit" the trailer (tweaking I guess) to the boat. And then the "package" was hauled to Alaska.

A few weeks back I spoke to Terry Hutchins in Key West. Terry and his brother started and built H&H then sold H&H to Eric and Bruce.

4 years ago Terry had H&H layup a 29 hull and top for him. He bought a Load Rite roller triaxle trailer for the hull. Had Bryant Kennedy across from the H&H shop fit the trailer perfect to the hull.

Bryant and his brother Roger Kennedy hauled the boat from Steuben Maine to Key West FL for Terry. I'm not sure if Terry built out the boat in Maine or Florida.

Terry put a 420 Iveco in it, uses the 29 to fishe along side the "Cubans" down in the Keys with their go fast open CC pounders !! :D Terry says his 29 cruises 24 knots ALL day with the Iveco spinning 2500 rpms. 2:1 gear swinging a 24X32 four blade :p

btw, I have a very good Cuban friend up here. In no way was my comment "racist" !!! ;)

FWIW, Bill D

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Steve, when you /they made your trailer did you put the boat on and use stands to level so you could measure and cut the Vertical supports ? Or was it all done by dimensions from the drawings ? Nice looking rig the Snow Squall.

Thanks for the coment on the boat. After the trailer was delivered to Rockport we moved it to Rose's in Gloucester, my boat was taken to Rose's by a local boat mover where the guys at Rose's picked it off the movers trailer with the travel lift then it was held over the trailer while I and the boat mover adjusted the bunks to fit the boat. The trailer has sling slots between the bunks so the travel lift straps can be easily removed. The folks at Load Master did call H&H for measurements but a guy named Tom Beaton (friend of previous owners family) from Rockport was a big help in getting the trailer to fit because he was at the boat while giving measurements of the boat to Gary at loadmaster on the cell phone. Tom was a tremondous help to me in getting everything to come together with the boat and trailer. He has a mobile marine repair business in the Rockport area so if any of you guys need him look him up, a good honest guy. He hangs out around the granite pier in Rockport. The boat mover was John Oliver 978-349-0969 and Tom Beaton's cell is 978-879-9994 both great guys to deal with. I've also got to thank the lobster guys at granite pier for their help with moving the trailer to Rose's, offering tools and help while i was working on the boat and just taking time off from working on their own gear to bullshit with "the guy from Alaska who bought the Snow Squall".

Last edited:

reeg75

Lieutenant
transport 25' bhm

It is a used bhm. coming from pt judith, rhode island to york,maine. Thanks for the replies, great info.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom