Trim Tabs on a Seaway 24 HT Sport

The Faith Ann

Lieutenant
Boat Make
24" Seaway Hardtop Sport
Has anyone put trim tabs on this 24 Seaway? I'm thinking of doing it not for the forward\aft trim so much but for the port\starboard trim. Me and the batteries on one side of the boat is an issue. So far I've been filling my live well on the other side whether I need it or not just to keep running flat.

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
I don't want to steal your thread but I am looking for the same feedback for my SISU 22. I think trim tabs will help. I just don't want to spend the $$ and find out that there is little or no improvement. Any input will help.

Last edited:

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
x3 here with my novi. She porpoises like a bastard probably 'cause she's short and quite the fatty and too much power...

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Okay so now we have three here with the same situation. Who's gonna pull the trigger first? :rolleyes:

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

23beal

Lieutenant
I put tabs on my 23 Crowley Beal last year and couldn't be happier - couldn't be without them now-think you guys should go for it - don't think you will be disappointed -

samson23

Lieutenant
Boat Make
ssamson23
trim tabs

I have trim Tabs on my outboard novi and notice a big difference when I use them . I use them more for running the bow down then port /starboard . I even up'd mine two years ago by trading out my 30" x9" tabs to 30x9" tbs with the side fins. It takes much less tab to get the same effect as before .

on that note if anyone is looking for a pair of 30x9" (tab only) they can be had cheap.

Last edited:

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
What kinds of speeds are you hitting before you find its preferably to engage the tabs...? Did your boat porpoise w/o them? And what kinds of speed are you hitting at cruise, and WOT?

samson23

Lieutenant
Boat Make
ssamson23
What kinds of speeds are you hitting before you find its preferably to engage the tabs...? Did your boat porpoise w/o them? And what kinds of speed are you hitting at cruise, and WOT?

In my situation I have a heavy outboard (Honda 225) on an armstong bracket so I was a little stern heavy. When I get to 12-13kts I bring the bow down slightly and power up to about 16-17kts and have smooth sailing turning around 3800-4000 rpm on an engine rated for 6200. I have on an occasion or two on a flat day brought it up to 25 kts or so and at that point just take tabs all the way up and plane.

In heavy head seas i'll just trim the bow down and it just cuts through it (no pounding)at 14 kts or so, in a following sea pull tabs up so as not to bury the bow in the next wave.

If I didn't have tabs on it I would diffently pound the bow at about 12-13 kts

Last edited:

rrr

Lieutenant
trim tabs

I have a 24 seaway with the same problem people move around or something gets put in another spot.it was listing one way or the other 90%of the time. found a used set of Bennet tabs ,the small ones .works perfect it takes very little movement of one or the other to level it right out and it does not hurt the bow trim a bit . mine is outboard powered .

Pilgrim

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Seaway 21
Are your concerns with the listing/rolling on newer Seaway 24's? The older hulls had soft chines and the newer models have the same flat ass-ends but distinct hard chines. In my experience the rolling at anchor or while pulling or setting is much less pronounced with the new hull configuration. I doubt the chines have much impact on the porpoising though.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
i had a 21 seaway and thought the last thing it needed was tabs. It porpoised at speed so bad when the bow caught a wave that it would knock you over. Pushing the bow down was the last thing it needed. I never had it loaded with anything but kids and my cooler though.

Solution was to slow down....16kts was heaven, 30 not so much.

Toolate - you are right about the slowing down to ease the porpoising but there are other ways to go. The trim tabs would extert a stabilizing force on the transom and put that "tipping point" even father forward so you wouldn't have a bouncing boat falling in and off of plane. With enough weight forward you could have manipulated the running surface so that the boat wouldn't even plane almost although at the cost of some performance.

If I'm wrong, someone correct me.

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
Tabs

I think I have decided on ElectroTabs [FONT=&quot]www.lectrotab.com [/FONT] I made some mock ups last weekend and put them the boat. I can get them and at discounted price. Anyone have any experience with ElectroTabs?

IMG_0649.jpg

DBthal

Lieutenant Commander
Turbulence

JKPorter,

I wonder if the tabs will create turbulence that will effect the transducer.

Dan

Eastporter

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
JKPorter,

I wonder if the tabs will create turbulence that will effect the transducer.

Dan

I have 12 x 9 tabs on my boat in similar set up with transducer on the inside. No issues with transducer and turbulence. Raymarine A65

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
Eastporter,

Good to know of the transducer. I will post installation, performance info etc after I get them installed

JK

Top Bottom