trim tabs

23beal

Lieutenant
hello , new to site,

i have a 23 Crowley beal, am thinking about putting trim tabs on it- more to level the boat when i am running either loaded down or a few extra people-i dont want to change the way the boat runs - im very happy with it-im not sure what size i should put on-smaller the better im thinking- i cruise at 20 Kts. normally - at that speed would it require a little bigger tab?also, i no they are suppost to be level with the bottom of the boat,which was my plan, but a few people told me i should mount them an inch above so they dont change how the boat runs- not sure about that...as i said before just want b able to level if i have too....any thoughts???

thanks...

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
I have 12x9" Lencos. They are fairly close to the bottom of the hull, not flush, maybe 1/2 an inch or so. I wouldn't be without them on a small DE with an outboard.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

capecodder19

Lieutenant
Any pictures of that 23 Crowley Beal? Those boats are my favorite pocket DE model and you don't see that many of them. I am sure others on the site would love to see your boat too. Thanks in advance.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
QL (Volvo)
There is another manufacturer of a similar product, looks to be more commercial. The QL has plastic gears internally and if you leave your boat for a long time unattended and don't take the time to paint or otherwise keep the growth from claiming everything, you tear the gears apart when you go to move the blades.

Not quite sure the other manufacturer, I've seen their stuff a few times.

As far as price, like 500-600 ish

23beal

Lieutenant
Isn't that an outboard rig? Change the tilt settings.

Or slap on a pair of these

795-3841716.jpg
F/V- thanks for that-are there any advantages with these over standard tabs? i dont have any experience with these and dont know anyone that uses them

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Like I said, if you leave them down and they get growth on them don't try to retract them, they will break the internal gears. I'm looking for the other manufacturer, I believe those are stainless enclosures with nylon blades, self cleaning rig.

They are simple to install, one hole for the plug, and like six screws hold them in place. All plug and play stuff.

wiggy

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Seaway 23
What's the advantage and cost difference over standard lencos. I'm curious about them too. Might like em on my Seaway 23 with a Yamaha 115. I was just gonna put new Lencos on it. I think the tabs help.

23beal

Lieutenant
Any pictures of that 23 Crowley Beal? Those boats are my favorite pocket DE model and you don't see that many of them. I am sure others on the site would love to see your boat too. Thanks in advance.
I will look around and see what i got for pics-will get back to you with them- its in my friends glass shop now getting a few cosmetic things taken care of that were anoying me

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
Love them.

They don't hang off the back like traditional tabs, so you won't cut off a fish on them. 2 full seasons with them now, and very happy.

image.jpg

cjmahm

Lieutenant
I put Bennetts our Seaway 19 two winters ago and love them. Nothing fancy, but they do what they were meant to. Our boat is small enough that if people move around underway, it will affect the balance. I like that I can make adjustments without anyone the wiser :D.

IMAG0270.jpg

23beal

Lieutenant
I put Bennetts our Seaway 19 two winters ago and love them. Nothing fancy, but they do what they were meant to. Our boat is small enough that if people move around underway, it will affect the balance. I like that I can make adjustments without anyone the wiser :D.
looks good- are they mounted flush with the bottom of the hull?-cant make it out from the pic-

Top Bottom