Tripp 22 re-power options

SORTIE

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Tripp 22 Angler
I am in the process of selecting a new powerplant for my Tripp 22 Angler.

I'd really love to re-power with a mechanical diesel (reman OK) but some of the preliminary pricing I've done tells me I can't afford a diesel.

I've just replaced the fiberglass fuel tanks with custom aluminum tanks from Luther's Welding in Bristol, RI but I had them plumbed with return lines to allow for a diesel re-power.

Current power is a Mercruiser 230 inboard, which has been removed from the boat. I sent the heads out to a machine shop and the proprietor suggested I replace the engine since Mercury Marine started cheaping out in the late 70s / early 80s and the engines weren't worth rebuilding as a result (the guys who rebuild gasser marine engines don't even want it as a core return).

I'd like to step up to a 350 c.i. engine if I can retain the 1 1/4" shaft and the same wheel (which was new last year).

Any thoughts?

jojobee

Commander
Sortie,
I have some repower performance numbers for your boat if you care to look at them. Send me an email and I will send it out to you.

enginecom

Ensign
How about a mid 80s 4LH Yanmar 110hp? Also have a electronic D3-160 with 300hrs coming in.

jawz

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
23 sea craft - 31 bertram
SORTIE said:
I am in the process of selecting a new powerplant for my Tripp 22 Angler.

I'd really love to re-power with a mechanical diesel (reman OK) but some of the preliminary pricing I've done tells me I can't afford a diesel.

I've just replaced the fiberglass fuel tanks with custom aluminum tanks from Luther's Welding in Bristol, RI but I had them plumbed with return lines to allow for a diesel re-power.

Current power is a Mercruiser 230 inboard, which has been removed from the boat. I sent the heads out to a machine shop and the proprietor suggested I replace the engine since Mercury Marine started cheaping out in the late 70s / early 80s and the engines weren't worth rebuilding as a result (the guys who rebuild gasser marine engines don't even want it as a core return).

I'd like to step up to a 350 c.i. engine if I can retain the 1 1/4" shaft and the same wheel (which was new last year).

Any thoughts?

this is what you typed,right ?

"Current power is a Mercruiser 230 inboard, which has been removed from the boat. I sent the heads out to a machine shop and the proprietor suggested I replace the engine since Mercury Marine started cheaping out in the late 70s / early 80s and the engines weren't worth rebuilding as a result (the guys who rebuild gasser marine engines don't even want it as a core return)."

the problem with what you typed,is the fact merc didn't cheap out - you are aware of the fact,general motors supplies the base engines,to the various marinization companies ? these companies,merc,crusader,pcm,etc,all use the same base engine - that would mean,none of these could be rebuilt ?
rebuilding a gas inboard/.stern drive engine,is allways a tough call - usually,the failure is caused by either an exhaust system problem - manifolds and risers - leaking water back into the cylinders - or,another cause,is an owner/rigger,incorrectly "propping" the engine. replacing that engine with new,as in new complete,is allways a better choice - warranty is much better - 3yrs,versus,what ever a maching shop gives on the "rotating assembly" - especially,when dealing in old technology,from the late 70's-early 80's,the new engines are definatley the better choice.

as far as continuing to use the same wheel,after repowering with a 5.7 vs a 5.0 - the 5.7 is going to have more torque,as well as hp - i would think,the prop you currently have could be modified,to provide the correct rpm range that engine would require...

SORTIE

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Tripp 22 Angler
thanks for the input, Jimmy

in this case two of the cylinders had been compromised by saltwater intrusion and as I mentioned, it's not even desired as a core return. overpropping was not the cause - when I replace the wheel two years ago I simply duplicated it (16" 15 pitch three-blade Michigan). agree with you that a new powerplant is called for, but a diesel is so much sweeter than another gasser. gas inboards make me nervous, especially those in older boats with plenty of bilge space for fumes to accumulate.

jawz

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
23 sea craft - 31 bertram
Re: thanks for the input, Jimmy

SORTIE said:
in this case two of the cylinders had been compromised by saltwater intrusion and as I mentioned, it's not even desired as a core return. overpropping was not the cause - when I replace the wheel two years ago I simply duplicated it (16" 15 pitch three-blade Michigan). agree with you that a new powerplant is called for, but a diesel is so much sweeter than another gasser. gas inboards make me nervous, especially those in older boats with plenty of bilge space for fumes to accumulate.
newer injected gas engines,these have very few"fume" problems,unlike the older carb'd engines with mechanical fuel pumps.
usually,a sea water intrusion in cylinders is caused by exhaust system problems - bad manifolds/risers,or,incorrect exhaust system height - over propping won't cause a condition like this.over propping usually causes a detonation condition,or"dropped" valves,due to excessive exhaust temperature - end result of the engine being overloaded.all engines,be it gas or diesel,need to be able to run in their recomended RPM band,failure to do so causes big problems with durability,along with excessive fuel consumption.
smaller boats,such as your's,the diesel option is often less desirable,due to cost of the repower - example,a new merc 5.7MPI"MAGNUM" engine,has a "ball park" price of $12k - engine and ZF gear,this is a 300hp at the prop engine.that engine,in a boat such as your's,should net a 3nmpg fuel consumption rate,a diesel option,will yield similar results - with a considerible amount more,in initial outlay...example,a 4cylinder yanmar,with a ZF gear,is gonna run in the ball park of $19k,add a prop into that,exhaust modifiactions may be needed - not sure what your exhaust configuaration is,and a few more incedentals - the price quickly escalates...
either way you go,good luck on your repower - any questions,feel free to ask...

SORTIE

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Tripp 22 Angler
I awoke from my new-diesel dream today

well my diesel-repower idea died on the vine while I was at the Norwalk Boat Show. the diesels I was most interested in run > $15,000 and I can't write a check that large so financing was key. Yanmar doesn't provide financing and the boat lenders don't want to touch a 22' boat with a 1985 hull. Unless I can find a used/reman diesel, re-power will be with another gasser.

offshore31

Captain
Sortie

How do you like your tripp? How does she handle? Would like to hear more, looking at an older one

Joe

Sailorgp

Commander
Boat Make
Sisu 26
Maybe I'll be banned from future posts for saying this...but a small block V-8 will be quieter and smoother (less vibration) than a 4 cylinder diesel of similar power. You'd also have to do an awful lot of boating for the economy of a diesel to pay off the much higher initial cost. If you follow proper strict installation procedures and inspect the fuel system regularly, gasoline power is very safe.

SORTIE

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Tripp 22 Angler
update

@offshore31: the Tripp 22 is the perfect boat for local waters (western LIS). with a 7'10" beam, it can be trailered without special permits. a trailer extends my practical range up to the Massachusetts islands, up the Hudson, or down to the Chesapeake.

@sailorgp: despite my love of high-compression engines that burn #2 fuel, I have reached the same conclusion. sometime this winter I will buy a new 5.7L Mercruiser gasser and I'm sure I'll be very happy with it. It will drop down onto the same mounts and I'll be able to re-use everything I have now, including the Morse gauges I installed two years ago.

just have to scratch up the $6K (so easy around the holidays :rolleyes: )

offshore31

Captain
sortie, would like to talk to you more about your tripp. how does it handle in a following sea? have you ever fished it out east off montauk? i'm wondering how they'd do out at the 30 fathom curve, and coming back in through the race.

thanks
Joe

SORTIE

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Tripp 22 Angler
sortie, would like to talk to you more about your tripp. how does it handle in a following sea? have you ever fished it out east off montauk? i'm wondering how they'd do out at the 30 fathom curve, and coming back in through the race.

thanks
Joe
IMHO the Tripp 22 is too small to take far off shore. I took it round trip from Greenwich, CT to Martha's Vineyard and while the boat can handle 4-5' swells, it's tough on the pilot

offshore31

Captain
I used to fish a 24 grady and made regular runs 30-40nm out, obviously weather dependent. so I thought the tripp 22, being only 2' smaller, might be able to do it too. does it pound, or is it tough in a following sea so you're constantly working? i want a downeaster, but would prefer a trailerable boat for flexibility. i don't want a cored hull, so the 22 trip is one of the few that meet those requirements.

thanks for any info
Joe

SORTIE

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Tripp 22 Angler
the hull is quite solid and does NOT pound

she handles following seas nicely and can head into the rough stuff too

the operator does get a workout in heavy weather but the boat behaves predictably. I don't think passengers would be comfortable in some of the seas I've been in with her

offshore31

Captain
"the operator does get a workout in heavy weather"

is that because of cablel steering?

"I don't think passengers would be comfortable in some of the seas I've been in with her"

I'm curious about this. Too much roll? Wet, spray?

what do you cruise yours at and what kind of fuel burn do you get at cruise?
thanks again
Joe

SORTIE

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Tripp 22 Angler
cable steering is no problem; the operator gets a workout keeping his balance (especially if top-heavy, like me)

boat is quite dry, with molded-in spray rails

with my 5.0L Mercruiser I cruised at 12-14, burning 7 gph

SORTIE

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Tripp 22 Angler
new development

found a NEW Cummins 4BT on E-Bay for $6,000

not marinized and can only be sold for off-road use (marine use presumably qualifies :) )

don't know what modifications would be required for my boat, but that's the same price as the FWC Mercruiser 5.7L I'm considering

I've got a serious diesel bug, can't stop scheming to get a diesel into my boat

yanmar

Captain
Boat Make
26 chesepeake 22 tripp
If i'm not mistaken i think the bt cummins series engines do not come with wet cyclinder liners . So if you were to loose a cylinder it would have to be bored .

Seawayva

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Tripp Angler 22' Flush Deck Cuddy
Sortie did you make a decision regarding the repower? I run a Tripp 22 Flush Deck with a Yanmar 4LHA STP. I cruise at about 20 knots (2800 rpm) burning about 4 gph. I bough the boat already repowered and she is sweet.

Top Bottom