Trolling valves

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
2000 Genral Marine 31 duffy Hull
I realize the commercial lobster guys don't need them, but how come you only see them in 15 % of boats. Couldn't live without mine.
Expense?
Just planning ahead.

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
Very handy not just for bass. With the big hp and large wheels that are being swung . I would imagine . I'm not the only one that has trouble slowing the boat down in gear.
I can't find any invoices in my boat stack, I'm assuming its a few bucks to buy plus install.

Last edited:

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Very handy not just for bass. With the big hp and large wheels that are being swung . I would imagine . I'm not the only one that has trouble slowing the boat down in gear.
I can't find any invoices in my boat stack, I'm assuming its a few bucks to buy plus install.

That big 8.3 liter high hp Cummins swinging that massive 4 blade prop in your 31 with a 2:1 gear...what do you expect ????:rolleyes:

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
That big 8.3 liter high hp Cummins swinging that massive 4 blade prop in your 31 with a 2:1 gear...what do you expect ????:rolleyes:

I know it's not just my boat. I've been on a few boats smaller hp , similar size boats that couldn't get to a good trolling speed.
I don't do a hell of a lot of trolling. Just to find bait fish, stripes, and blues. Sometimes it's nice to have when your scanning the bottom, or trying to find a exact ledge, or whatever.
I was just curious of the average added cost.
Sometimes I'm alone on the boat with three or four guys tangled up . It's nice to keep putting around while turning around to remove hooks out of my canvis. Instead of in and out of gear all day with my hand on the stick .

Last edited:

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
"I was just curious of the average added cost."

On a smaller ZF gear I was quoted the trolling gear would be $1200 for parts to retrofit. If I was to order with a new gear it was $500 add.

Thanks, I'm sure every make and model is a bit different .

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
Unless you are running downhill, Neutral, then reverse seems to work well to slow, stop, or reverse direction. Being able to bump gear and not use throttle makes life easier.
In gear I'm going 4 -5 knts in no time, so I guess it's more important to have for me then others. Unless on anchor I couldn't step away from the wheel.

If your dropping 200-400 k on the average new build , what's another 500

Last edited:

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
In gear I'm going 4 -5 knts in no time, so I guess it's more important to have for me then others. Unless on anchor I couldn't step away from the wheel.

If your dropping 200-400 k on the average new build , what's another 500

4 knots is GREAT !!!!!
I'm @ 5.3 @ idle with twins.
3.5 on one engine.

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
4 knots is GREAT !!!!!
I'm @ 5.3 @ idle with twins.
3.5 on one engine.

I guess it's just the way I fish and who I fish with. I'm running all around the boat like an idiot. I end up taking a lot of my work customers and wife's family out fishing. Don't get me wrong I like watching people catch fish on my boat , but next year after I get through taking my wife's charity peps out . It time to go alone.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
I guess it's just the way I fish and who I fish with. I'm running all around the boat like an idiot. I end up taking a lot of my work customers and wife's family out fishing. Don't get me wrong I like watching people catch fish on my boat , but next year after I get through taking my wife's charity peps out . It time to go alone.

Maybe a stupid question,
Instead of running around in circles, how bout neutral and just drift.

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
Yes about ap , 5 knts with gear out?. just nice to putt back slowly after you drift past where you want to be without everybody falling over ,and having your hand on the stick, I can creep back to where I want to be while walking to the back of the boat for five minutes to remove a hook from someone's finger. , that's all.

Just feel its a nice option that I'm surprised I don't see in more boats, I know you can live without it. I figured It was some larger money.

Last edited:

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
The quote I got was for a ZF to go behind a Cummins B. I currently have a Velvet drive and a trolling valve is not really an option. I could rig a bypass line and valve that would work, but it would not be right.
I look at it this way, If it has fins and can't swim 5 kts I don't fish it...

I do take your point on resetting position.

I also like to tweak the valve just right an be able to walk to the back of boat and jig up some Mack's for ten minutes and not move from my spot when I'm alone. Next boat will have a rear helm.

Last edited:

scallywag

Captain
Boat Make
25'general marine
Have a trolling valve on my Twin disc 506. In the Cheasapeake we troll at 2.5-3 knots in the spring and fall for stripers. I'm 5.5knots in gear. Coudn't
live without it down here.

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Scared stiff of mine

I have one on my QSM 670/IRM 310 but am scared stiff of it.

Like others - when I go in gear - I'm instantly at 5.5 knots. I've been warned so many times of the consequences of going past idle with one that I avoid it like the plague.

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
I have one on my QSM 670/IRM 310 but am scared stiff of it.

Like others - when I go in gear - I'm instantly at 5.5 knots. I've been warned so many times of the consequences of going past idle with one that I avoid it like the plague.

My valve has a safety lock out,can't go past idle. Or even put back into neutral without disengaging gear.

Last edited:

scallywag

Captain
Boat Make
25'general marine
I've had a valve on my twin disc for 27yrs. still going strong. I've heard all the concerns but from my own experience it's been fine. Only problem is they don't make them for my trans anymore. They are a few old stocks around but they cost as much as a rebuilt trans.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
I have a trolling valve on my 370 Yanmar. I would never use it to slow a boat down for any docking or canal cruising. Should you be in tight quarters and need to make a move quickly to avoid a problem with the valve on you could cook your gear.
I clutch my boat if I need to go slow in the bay, canals or docking.
In open water I use it a lot for slow trolling, bass, tuna & shark.
I also put my valve on a separate Morse Control. It give a lot better fine tuning to get the valve where you want it. Also on my dash a very large red light is on when the valve is in use.

TV.jpg

eyschulman

Commander
Boat Make
Devlin 48 & Marshal Sanderling
The crabbers down south on long line use buckets or drouge to slow down. It is very common so it must work. A lot cheaper than a valve its got to be I know those boys don't spend much on their boats. Crab is a lot cheaper than lobster.

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
I have a trolling valve on my 370 Yanmar. I would never use it to slow a boat down for any docking or canal cruising. Should you be in tight quarters and need to make a move quickly to avoid a problem with the valve on you could cook your gear.
I clutch my boat if I need to go slow in the bay, canals or docking.
In open water I use it a lot for slow trolling, bass, tuna & shark.
I also put my valve on a separate Morse Control. It give a lot better fine tuning to get the valve where you want it. Also on my dash a very large red light is on when the valve is in use.

My valve is set up with a red light also and a lock out system, .I would never use my valve to dock. I use it for the same reasons. Beats the buckets I used to use years ago.

Unfortunately my valve control is in the lower right of the picture. It's an up and down pull which took me a while to master . A tappy tap tap is what I mudder while adjusting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom