Trouble removing a prop

John 40

Lieutenant Commander
Trying to remove my nibral propeller. I have a puller on it but can't get it to come off. Any issue with heating the hub with a propane torch while under tension? Wanted to get opinions before going any further. Thanks

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Tighten your puller up some more and give it a good bang on the end with a stout hammer. Tighten and give it another thump. Keep doing it until the propeller is off, make sure to tighten all of your points evenly.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Tighten your puller up some more and give it a good bang on the end with a stout hammer. Tighten and give it another thump. Keep doing it until the propeller is off, make sure to tighten all of your points evenly.

I concur it will pop off. I little gentle heat is always welcomed

Fishinengineer

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Duffy
Prop removal

Apply heat and a few thumps to the bolt on the puller. Don't turn your back on it though, it will fly off when you least expect it !!

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
Leave one of the nuts on the end of the shaft so the wheel doesn't go flyng into the rudder ,it doesn't matter if its the big nut or the small nut.It may take a while with a bernzo to get enough heat

John 40

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the responses, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Heat on the hub is the answer, it won't take much if you have a good tension on your puller, you will not hurt the bronze with a propane or MAR gas tourch. Don't hit the end of your shaft while it is connected to the transmission, you can ruin the bearings. Leave one nut on loosely so it does not fly off and hit the skeg bar.

Sailorgp

Captain
Boat Make
Sisu 26
I've seen pros bang the end of the shaft (the prop popped off) while still attached to the transmission...the thrust from the hammer is allegedly nothing compared to the thrust when running the boat. Don't worry about the bearings.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom