True Heavy Weather

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I was wondering if anyone on here has actually been in the situation of dealing with heavy weather. First off, hopefully this doesnt become an ego based thread.

I have always carried a real sea anchor, sadly got rid of a really nice setup from Paratech (?) on the H&H40 that I wish I didnt get rid of. (By the way, if anyone notices I keep bringing that up, my dad when he sold the H&H40, I was onboard a ship and he figured we were done boating, fishing, hell life for that matter) Thank god he didnt give away the 130's.

Looking at buying a moderate one now, Hamiltons 9' maybe, for $300. How many other people are out there and in your head walked out and said, hey maybe its better to sit this out, keep my bow pointing into the waves and laying to rather than trying to head back at 5 knots.

Most of us agree that we are a sailor before a fisherman. That things happen better when they are slower in regards to disasters. Running at 20kts vs, 12kt, less damage etc. I've heard these stories of it taking people 18 hours to get back from George's to just make it to Great Point. Granted weather we know more about here, we know more things are coming etc. I see buoys are not funded for repairs for a while, that sucks. Not sure what impact that has just yet with us.

I've been in some damn narly weather and waited before running in through monomoy for a better tide or the approach through Muskegat coming from the canyons.

Ive only deployed a sea anchor once for training on my H&H40, did wonder what it would be like in true heavy weather, how "comfortable" would it be and curious as I think it might be kinda nice... lol

bestfish

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
36' Harris Cuttyhunk
I had a 4' that was more of a drift sock than a real sea anchor I never used it in any 'real' weather but it did keep a 36' pointed into the sea while I changed fuel filters in about 15-20, 4'-6'. That was also on short scope. I bet a 9' would be pretty impressive. Hopefully you'll never need it but its certainly better than a couple 5 gallon buckets!

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
So even that did make a difference cool... We prepare for the worst and try to avoid it. LOL... Like I said, I kick myself in the ass because I never deployed it on rough weather to try it. I do know that "break" line was important because god knows we would have never got it in!!! It was like pulling against the WHOLE OCEAN! lol

My mistake on the Hamilton is not 9', I was thinking about the Paratech my mom actually bought us, just incase we did something stupid.

Was looking at this websitehttp://www.seaanchor.com/prices.htm which is what we had, some high prices...

Last edited:

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
military surplus parachute ?? guys use them here for dragging their stuck boats off gravel bars in the rivers.

luckfin

Ensign
No Ego trip --> Seen my fair share of bad weather in anything from a 32 Holland to a 600+ ship. one thing I have learned that it is the basic stuff like flashlights, tools, fuses, and normal safety equipment is the most important. An Item that is not basic but I suggest to have on any boat is a handheld gps, charts (waterproof) and a compass. If all your electronics fail you can get yourself to safety.

luckfin

Ensign
Have you ever looked at a post you have done and look at all the errors in it and say "WTF"? I just did.

jim

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
48ft Dixon
Shawn I had a paratech on my 42 H&H. Just like you I should have NEVER gotten rid of the H&H and like you I only deployed the sea anchor in a single trial run in calm seas. I dont think I would have used it in heavy weather unless I lost power or steering. I feel that "jogging" offers a little more manuevarability(sp?) for those bitches that run at you from a different direction than the rest. I also feel quartering steep waves gives you a better shot at keeping green water out of the wheelhouse via busted glass. Still I feel its a great piece of safety gear and will not hesitate to get one for my next vessel.

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
There are no dumb questions, right?

At what point do you worry about green water hitting the wheelhouse windows with enough force to smash windows? Not looking to find out, but curious. I have 5000+ hours in a deep V pocket sport fish and had no qualms about it in honest 4-6' head seas but wasn't inclined to fish in more than 3-5.

I know frequency,length and angle plays into it, but at what point in a DE do you say "uh uh"

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Smaller individual windows help, less area to react to the pressure. So if your windshield normally would have 3 windows there could be 6, if it would have 4 then 8 would fit in their place. Sure you'd lose out on some visibility but a whole lot less water fits through an 18" hole than a 36" one.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Worst I've been out in was 13' waves with 60 mph winds. No sea anchor, I was heading to another harbor. My harbor is exposed directly to the South, right where the wind was coming from so I slid around the corner into the Passagassawakeag River for shelter. Took about an hour to go the six miles at idle speed.

This was after pulling another man out of the water who was on his boat that broke free from the float at the dock and went hard aground on the granite that adorns our launch ramp. Boat sawed itself right through the keel on the granite blocks, so badly that you could pass a 4' trap from one side to the other without touching anything. Somehow I ended up in the water getting the snapped rope that was attached to that 31 BHM in order to bring it ashore. Something I will NEVER do again. Another few minutes and hypothermia would have claimed me for sure. Once I wrung out my clothes and got a little fire back in my chest it was onto the boat to get her heartbeat going and seek shelter.

Fun times.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
It is the basic things, I will say that...

I was chief engineer on a ship, lost complete power for over two hours. Those leathermans, spare packs of batteries and a few other things came in handy.

Larry, I took complete green water up onto the deck of the H&H 40 a couple times, once was just west of Nantucket Harbor, coming back from Muskegat, I think I fell in a hole, green water up onto the bow and looked into it with the windshield, then the transom just filled up with water, weird... Then just by the red/green in Muskegat channel... Both days were just both 20-25 but think big tides played a role. You'll see it someday...

Latest Posts

Top Bottom