Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Looks like a deep forefoot , a lot of flare and a modest taper to keel. How large a prop can the put on boat?
I would like to see one run, because it seems to me that the deep forefoot would always be in the water causing bow steer or veering. It's a gorgeous hull though, and although the red is beautiful, I prefer a white or light gray color for ease of maintenance.

I'm assuming (don't know for sure) that you could fit a 30" diameter prop under it. Most of the 38's like Flowers, NB, etc. will fit a 30". A 30" would be a nice size prop for this boat.

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
I would like to see one run, because it seems to me that the deep forefoot would always be in the water causing bow steer or veering. It's a gorgeous hull though, and although the red is beautiful, I prefer a white or light gray color for ease of maintenance.

I'm assuming (don't know for sure) that you could fit a 30" diameter prop under it. Most of the 38's like Flowers, NB, etc. will fit a 30". A 30" would be a nice size prop for this boat.
My guess is that she'll run bow-proud at speed, like the 43' and the Wesmacs do. Function of the deep forefoot...but, she must be an absolute beast in a steep headsea.

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I spoke with Jamie Lowell (again) about the 38' Lowell. He said a 30" prop would just fit in there, but he was of the opinion that a 28" is a nice size prop for this boat. My understanding is this first boat (the red hull) will have an 800 hp Man, and will have a 28" diameter prop.

When it comes time to order a hull, the 38' Wesmac, Lowell, and Flowers are on the short list. I've been toying with the idea to save money, to go with a Wayne Beal 36 or Holland 38 and install a 420hp Iveco or Cummins and still probably get the same speed with that combo, as the Wesmac/Lowell/Flowers with a 500 hp engine. I'm assuming the WB 36/Holland 38 is going to push a little easier than the other 38's, so I could go with less HP and less weight, and still get the same performance. I could save about $20,000 going with the WB36/Holland 38 and less HP. But then I wouldn't be getting the softer ride of the built-down hulls. Decisions, decisions. If I was confident the WB 36 or Holland 38 still offered a pretty soft ride in a head-sea, I may just spring for the cheaper boat. But the built-down hull and it's promise of a soft ride are calling my name:).

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
There's always financing !!!!
Spread the $20,000 over time !!!!:sad:
The thought of getting financing for anything makes me ill... I will have the cash to build any boat I want, but just because you can do something doesn't mean it's wise or beneficial to do so.

Eslang

Commander
Boat Make
43 Flowers
I don't know about you but I'm not getting any younger. The thought of building a new boat that had a rough ride doesn't apeal to me at all

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I don't know about you but I'm not getting any younger. The thought of building a new boat that had a rough ride doesn't apeal to me at all
My dad always says that too... Here is a drawing I made of what I'm thinking of. This is on a Wesmac 38' hull, but the cabin would be the same on any hull. I would custom build my cabin and wash rails, notice the cabin is about 14"-15" taller than the molded Wesmac top. I like the increased visibility and safety that a taller cabin offers.

38 WesmacdrawIII-copy.jpg

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I know you already built one of these....will a skeg boat still be fast & efficient with the extra weight of the net winder in the cockpit?
The aluminum reel and net will weigh no more than 1,200 lbs total. And it's somewhat centrally located, atleast I try to mount it as far forward as is practical to help centralize the weight. The boat will weigh about what your basic lobster boat will weigh, then add in the 1,200 lbs of gear. So all things considered, it will be a pretty light boat for 38'. I'm looking for 24-25 knots wide open with a 18-19 knot cruise. I think those are realistic expectations for 500 hp in a basic 38' boat.

The 34' x 13' Calvin I built with a 500 hp Cummins did 33 mph with no reel or gear and light on fuel at sea trial, at about 96-97% engine load. We put approx. 7,000 lbs of water in the fish holds (to test how weight would effect it) and the boat still did 30 or 31 mph and was hitting 100% engine load, which told me with fishing gear and more fuel, I needed to take atleast 1" of pitch out of the wheel. I think the engine was hitting right at 2,600 rpms with the extra weight. I was impressed with the overall performance of the 34' Calvin Beal hull and the QSC Cummins. And these numbers are with 1.77 gear ratio and a 26" diameter prop. Gear it down to 2:1 with a 28" diameter prop, and the performace numbers may be a little better.

I'm thinking a 38' boat like the Wesmac or Flowers should do around 27-28 mph (about 24 knots) with the same engine.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
The thought of getting financing for anything makes me ill... I will have the cash to build any boat I want, but just because you can do something doesn't mean it's wise or beneficial to do so.
When your passing all the other boats running for a line set and not getting your arse kicked that 20 grand will be forgotten!! Shit a couple(maybe one:rolleyes:) of good openers will easily pay the difference. Think of all the money your saving by building your own rig. Just get the boat you want and while your at it add 100 horsepower!!:eek: You won't even know the reel and gear is on one of those boats, mine goes just about the same empty as when i have 40 pots and 700lbs of ice on it.
Looking for a good fish picker? let me know my picking hook is always at hand and ready to go. Did i mention i mend & hang gear??

Last edited:
Top Bottom