Tub Trawls?? How to??

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
Hello there everyone. Just getting into the business, Bought myself a rhode island restricted and non-restricted fin-fish license. Bought a 26' webber cove lobster boat with a 12" hydro-slave hauler with direct drive hydraulics, and some sour old lobster pots. Got some scup pots and some sea bass pots.

I am familiar with fishing all the pots that I just mentioned,However, I am going to be purchasing some used tub trawls from someone and I am not certain of the right way to use them. They are 1500' long, gangions are 6' apart and have #12 semicircle hooks. I will be purchasing at least 5 of them to get started, but there are more than 30 of them available.

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to fish these??? What type of baits work best??? I will be fishing out of newport R.I. I will also be on Rhode Island sound as well as the block island area. I know that people get allot of dogfish and skate with these, and that is my primary target. But can I target other species with these. Maybe fluke or sea bass???? perhaps cod??? Striper??? How do I properly bait them and set them?? It seems like it could get quite messy.

Can someone who has a good amount of experience with this please help shed some light on it for me.??? thanks

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I believe Cape Fishermen's Supply in Chatham would be the folks to talk to about LL. Don't you need some kind of permits for green eyes and cod ?? Those are about the only species you can LL, the bass, fluke and SB are out. Hope you like washing dishes cause thats what its like to bait up LL gear, maybe think about a snag baiter ??

Last edited:

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
My license allows me to kill anything with fins in Rhode Island waters so long as it isnt a protected species. So you are saying that cod and dogs are my only real options???

monktails

Lieutenant
Only thing you will catch dogs and skate. There maybe be an outside chance of something else. Rod and reel fluke,bass and taug. Won't be hard everyone down there does it. Where are you keeping this boat?

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
The only time you may get a cod is around now but if you don't haul the gear quickly the doggies will eat it. So may want to try only setting one at a time if you are trying not to target doggies

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
what are your allowances for cod right now as well as sea bass in the summer out of RI?

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
To much lol good luck .i Do a lot of hooking is OK but up hear we use snap gear. 15 year doing it and got my first sea bass last week

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
1000# cod seabass is mostly 50# if its open the potters seems to make short work of it.
I think they say 1000# since hell will freeze before you could get it inside 3 miles without some big horse shoe up your butt

what are your allowances for cod right now as well as sea bass in the summer out of RI?

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
To much lol good luck .i Do a lot of hooking is OK but up hear we use snap gear. 15 year doing it and got my first sea bass last week

Well, we will have to start advertising those MA Bay sea bass trips

I also think you better check on the permits if planning on fishing federal waters. State waters in RI are rules I am not familiar with. Good Luck and wish you success.

Dave

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
Is the snap gear easier?? It seems like it is less prone to getting tangles into a big knot. Also, I do not have a rail roller, I am gonna be hauling with my davit so I think that it would be easier to just un hook snaps and toss them into the boat as they come up. I'm looking for any advice that i can get.

Funk massta bass

Lieutenant
You want some real advice?? Stop thinking you are going to make any money comm fishing. Just reading what you have written you are clueless and most likely going to lose your ass. Don't want to sound like a jerk but just saying what everyone on here is thinking.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
Lol. Trust me. Im not banking on this. I have an excellent day job.If I really wanted to make money, I would have listened to my father and gone to college instead of welding school. And I sure as hell wouldn't be trying to go fishing. Thats not what its about anyways, Are any of you guys getting rich fishing??? I highly doubt ii. But your still doing it. Whats your reason?? And fyi, I am an excellent rod and real fisherman. I made money almost every time I went out last year. I have zero experience long-lining. Thats why I am asking these questions, so I do appreciate the advice. thanks

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Is the snap gear easier?? It seems like it is less prone to getting tangles into a big knot. Also, I do not have a rail roller, I am gonna be hauling with my davit so I think that it would be easier to just un hook snaps and toss them into the boat as they come up. I'm looking for any advice that i can get.
Pm me ill get you a brake down of the shit lol

Drakes

Lieutenant
Excellent rod and reel guy huh? You should stick to that then....your first mistake is hauling over your Davit. Other than googinhater andnfunkmaster bass I can guarantee that you have gotten no real advice...catch your five stripes and be happy. The investment you are going to make isn't worth it...I caught over 50000 pounds of dogs last year and can tell you it's an expensive and timely way to make a buck

Drakes

Lieutenant
What's gonna unfold? They might give a mass fishery back to the fishermen and try to stop the joke that is the mass sea bass commercial fishery

Latest Posts

Top Bottom