Tuna gets all the glamor but is anyone chasing striper?

MAArcher

Admiral
It sounds like big striper are up and down the New England coast right now. Anyone catching anything? I took some time off, six days over the past two weeks, and fished like I've never fished before, mostly at night drifting eels across salt flats. Fished for 12 hours straight one day, drifting the flats all night then fishing over pogy schools at sun up. I'm still a striper rooky but I managed to get nine fish over 35" (44" being the biggest) totaling 175lbs, lost several battles including two double hook-ups that resulted in a demoralizing loss of four fish and a mess of tangled gear. Numerous slot fish that were released. I also caught several slot fish on non-commercial days that were turned into sashimi, Panko crusted pan fried fish sticks and fish kabobs.

I have this coming Tuesday and Wednesday off as my last two commercial fishing days, after that my work schedule is looking pretty unpleasant so not sure when I'll be able to get out again during the week after that. The tides are lining up nice for those two days though to get some more time fishing over pogies on the ocean front, which is a nice change from the monotony of drifting the flats at night which is a combat situation with the water covered in a fleet of boats ranging from 6' kayaks to 28' center consoles, everyone jockeying for position and trying not to kill those who refuse to have their nav lights on.

Some pics from the last couple weeks. I apologize for my cousin who always has a look on his face like he's coming up behind you in a prison shower.

1656638732665.png

1656638751396.png

1656638766188.png

1656638778510.png

1656638794067.png

1656638810000.png

Scooby

1st Mate
First Name
Jeff
Nice fish! And yes he does have that look!

MAArcher

Admiral
how did that sashimi eat?
Its all good but I'm finding that there can be a difference in taste/texture between fish. I think my favorite has been a slot sized fish that was bled, and iced right away then aged for three days in the meet draw of the fridge (around 38 degrees). I was told that its a good idea to freeze them first but I think that's only worth doing if you have a flash freezer. I froze some and tried it as sashimi once thawed out, and it was still good but lost something, maybe a little "mushy" texture. Definitely have to slice bass thinner than some other fish. But so far everyone I've served it too has been surprised how good it is.

MAArcher

Admiral
cut it thinner.. striped bass sashimi is meant to be very thin.. very good with ponzu sauce instead of soy
My son loves the Yuzu-it ponzu sauce. I still like real wasabi (not horseradish) and soy.

I saw a youtube video where the guy cut it paper thin and and made flowers out of them. Great presentation. I tried to do it that way but it ended up looking like a pitiful bouquet an angry woman stomped on after she found out her boyfriend cheated on her. Making sushi pretty really is an artform.

Codcruncher

Admiral
Lite User

Rockfish9

1st Mate
First Name
Joe
Boat Make
Jon dory
It's been "stupid fishing " for 2 months now.. unfortunately, those participating are even stupider..lucky for me, I've got plenty of places away from "hong Kong city "..I guess the price of gas hasn't effected the amount of people fishing..

20220614_221434.jpg

20220614_215258.jpg

20220614_214312.jpg

Rockfish9

1st Mate
First Name
Joe
Boat Make
Jon dory
Striped bass is one of the few fish I dont freeze, it gets strong and just looses texture, I bleed and gut them immediately..pack them on ice, they are excellent..baked, salt, pepper garlic powder, lemon slices over buttered
Crumbled Ritz crackers, left over make awesome fish cakes..

Codcruncher

Admiral
Lite User

goin4broke

Admiral
Boat Make
35 Foot Terry Jason (Currently undergoing finishing touches)
One of the ways I like SB is what I call poor man’s lobster. Poach fresh bass, drain it and add melted butter and lemon juice to taste. Trust me try it.

goin4broke

Admiral
Boat Make
35 Foot Terry Jason (Currently undergoing finishing touches)
Yes plain tap water, get it to boil in a pot first then, I use a sieve with the fish in it and drop it in (like if you were deep frying). I haven't done it in a while so I don't remember exactly how long it takes but when it's flaky obviously shes done.

Top Bottom