Tuna running report

CapeCodNorton

1st Mate
Lite User
Boat Make
23 Crowley Beal

JasonD

1st Mate
That is a nice yf. I'm hoping for something pointy on my sprocket. Im headed to I think Welker tomorrow night. That sproket is an excellent blue marlin lure although I got my last blue on a Carolina Joe shute with a select hoo. I lost another blue on the last trip on the same Joe shute color. The blue came clean out of the water behind the stern and we could see the shute in the the corner of her mouth. Couple of mid air head shakes and body twists before it hit the water and we see the shute come flying out of her mouth right toward us. Those Fuckers do not like being hooked.
Bart 1656 mini and regular1656 angle were always in the spread. Caught eyeballs on those quite a bit. The BIGGEST Blue I've seen ate a Black and purple Zuker feather in the dip fished on a TLD 20..... fish ate a fender teaser then rolled on to this teeny little lure- ZOOOOOOM Greyhounding away from the boat while we all stood there, mouths open, like 13 year olds seeing boobies for the 1st time. The awesomeness didnt last long

Downrigga

Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
Bart 1656 mini and regular1656 angle were always in the spread. Caught eyeballs on those quite a bit. The BIGGEST Blue I've seen ate a Black and purple Zuker feather in the dip fished on a TLD 20..... fish ate a fender teaser then rolled on to this teeny little lure- ZOOOOOOM Greyhounding away from the boat while we all stood there, mouths open, like 13 year olds seeing boobies for the 1st time. The awesomeness didnt last long
Funny analogy man. Lately they have been hitting the dink hoos. I fished on the black Bart many years ago with the old man himself. He taught me a lot about lures.

JasonD

1st Mate
Funny analogy man. Lately they have been hitting the dink hoos. I fished on the black Bart many years ago with the old man himself. He taught me a lot about lures.
I met him when I worked at Stalker Outfitters, He was there working with Tred Barta on some "Barta edition" Resin Ahi jets. Tred didn't like them because they werent jetted and so became the "ELK HUNT"

black_bart_elk_hunt_purple_black__39941.jpg

Aloop

1st Mate
It is pretty nuts, I’ve gotten 7 bites in two trips. Both days I never fished more than one rod. It’s going to be hard to get back to reality and have to wait hours for a bite if it even comes at all.
I made the choice to fish the bay instead on boat B. Saw milling fish within 200' of the boat for about 2 mintues. I watched them swim toward us then away. All we caught were memories. Boat A off Chatham had all the action. At least I got a video.

CapeCodNorton

1st Mate
Lite User
Boat Make
23 Crowley Beal

Downrigga

Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
I met him when I worked at Stalker Outfitters, He was there working with Tred Barta on some "Barta edition" Resin Ahi jets. Tred didn't like them because they werent jetted and so became the "ELK HUNT"

View attachment 139788
I have met Tread too. I took him for a strictly split tail mullet kind of guy because he always said it was the best big eye bait ever. God rest his soul. I felt bad for him after his accident but he always found a way to stay tuned to the fishing community. He signed his book for me. A lot of knowledge went with him.

JasonD

1st Mate
I have met Tread too. I took him for a strictly split tail mullet kind of guy because he always said it was the best big eye bait ever. God rest his soul. I felt bad for him after his accident but he always found a way to stay tuned to the fishing community. He signed his book for me. A lot of knowledge went with him.
The hard way the Barta way....

Downrigga

Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
Nope, I knew some guys who used to do it and remembered it was around this time in August so I just guessed
Well we got off to a decent start. Limited out on yf right after lines in. All very decent size. Raised a marlin with no takers. I figured we were headed for a good day of fishing. I knew the forecast was not great but it was worse than predicted. After wave number three filled the cockpit I pulled the plug and came in. I was not going to sit in that mess overnight with no sleep and not be able to see them coming. One of the waves almost washed one of my sons overboard. Tourney raised a bunch of money for cancer research. Glad to be part if it.

Last edited:

JasonD

1st Mate
Well we got off to a decent start. Limited out on yf right after lines in. All very decent size. Raised a marlin with no takers. I figured we were headed for a good day of fishing. I knew the forecast was not great but it was worse than predicted. After wave number three filled the cockpit I pulled the plug and came in. I was not going to sit in that mess overnight with no sleep and not be able to see them coming. One of the waves almost washed one if my sons overboard. Tourney raised a bunch of money for cancer research. Glad to be part if it.
SCREW THAT! Fundraiser tournie to sit and get your ass kicked in overnight? No thanks!

Downrigga

Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
SCREW THAT! Fundraiser tournie to sit and get your ass kicked in overnight? No thanks!
The guys with the seakeepers didn't mind it so much. When you hear 70 plus sporties saying they were not going to spend the night then it was most likely a good decision. I love sword fishing but it would have sucked big time for us anyway.

Featherwedge

Deckhand
First Name
Nick

Aloop

1st Mate
Well we got off to a decent start. Limited out on yf right after lines in. All very decent size. Raised a marlin with no takers. I figured we were headed for a good day of fishing. I knew the forecast was not great but it was worse than predicted. After wave number three filled the cockpit I pulled the plug and came in. I was not going to sit in that mess overnight with no sleep and not be able to see them coming. One of the waves almost washed one of my sons overboard. Tourney raised a bunch of money for cancer research. Glad to be part if it.
71c28bef-e5e4-4581-878f-6edce0b88f30_text.gif

Captinlon

1st Mate
Boat Make
32 H & H
So, with all the buyers saying not to go, still looked like a parking lot last evening and passed more headed out as i was going in

Top Bottom