Tuna running report

BBO

1st Mate
Boat Make
37 Mitchell Cove 28 BHM
Plenty of fish that wasn't the issue. Fuel and soft market were the killer. My best trips were very early season way east in the canyons. Bluefin prices ranged from 4-12lb for me. Lot of the fish were very poor quality, and the demand isn't there. There really needs to be more push on supporting fresh caught local fish over the imported shit. The one fish a day is a killer for guys trying to make money steaming 50-70 miles each way.

fishcrazy

Deckhand
The low price per pound and high price of fuel is showing in the second hand boat market. I’m not 100% sure but it looks like bubble has burst.

Downrigga

Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
The recent boart show in Fort Lauderdale is a good barometer. Last year Pursuit sold about 60 boats and this year the number was around 21. I heard many dealers had similular results. The Trump bump has been replaced by the Biden bump.

Fishhappens

1st Mate
Website
www.durfeeplumbing.com
First Name
Phil
Boat Make
Duffy
Somebody poked it with a pin…
The recent boart show in Fort Lauderdale is a good barometer. Last year Pursuit sold about 60 boats and this year the number was around 21. I heard many dealers had similular results. The Trump bump has been replaced by the Biden bump.
Definitely the Biden slump

fishcrazy

Deckhand
The interest rates were at historic lows. People with loans were refinancing and pulling wads of cash of the table to buy stuff. Now the money is drying up a bit. The housing market in the spring will be the real barometer of things. Also construction is starting to slow down a bit as well.

Crusty Coastie

Captain
First Name
Pete
Boat Make
38 Holland ''Orion''
The interest rates were at historic lows. People with loans were refinancing and pulling wads of cash of the table to buy stuff. Now the money is drying up a bit. The housing market in the spring will be the real barometer of things. Also construction is starting to slow down a bit as well.
If you want a real regional barometer,look at how many cranes you see on the Boston Skyline.When they thin out,the vaults are closing.

Quik Fix 16

Admiral
Boat Make
Shamrock
If y'all really were interested in making money , you would be bottom fishing. We are getting mucho wampum for all bottom fish. Even ringtail porgys are $2.50. No problem loading the boat every day.

PatriciaLynn

Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
If y'all really were interested in making money , you would be bottom fishing. We are getting mucho wampum for all bottom fish. Even ringtail porgys are $2.50. No problem loading the boat every day.
Hard getting a permit and leasing enough quota to make money while keeping expenses low enough to net a profit up here. Doable, but you need to get in pretty deep $ before you can claw any back.

The good news is there are fish around, prices have been low in Portland which has been chasing the boats away. I keep thinking that a 40' gillnetter might be interesting, but if you are going to do that you might as well put a net reel on and if you are going to do that you should probably look for a 55' Bruno, but then if you look at one of those you realize you can afford a shitty steel boat for just a few dollars more, and then once you look at a steel boat you figure if you are going to be in debt, you might as well look for a big, beautiful newer steel boat. And then you add up how many million you are in the hole and you go out to your oyster farm and pull $3000 out of the water from a skiff before lunch and burn $5 worth of fuel and you realize that maybe this isn't so bad after all.

Hahaha, fishing is for people that are sick in the head.

Capecodfisherman

1st Mate
Boat Make
44 wedgeport
Hard getting a permit and leasing enough quota to make money while keeping expenses low enough to net a profit up here. Doable, but you need to get in pretty deep $ before you can claw any back.

The good news is there are fish around, prices have been low in Portland which has been chasing the boats away. I keep thinking that a 40' gillnetter might be interesting, but if you are going to do that you might as well put a net reel on and if you are going to do that you should probably look for a 55' Bruno, but then if you look at one of those you realize you can afford a shitty steel boat for just a few dollars more, and then once you look at a steel boat you figure if you are going to be in debt, you might as well look for a big, beautiful newer steel boat. And then you add up how many million you are in the hole and you go out to your oyster farm and pull $3000 out of the water from a skiff before lunch and burn $5 worth of fuel and you realize that maybe this isn't so bad after all.

Hahaha, fishing is for people that are sick in the head.
don’t go gillnetting lol. Especially with the codfish quota at the moment. You’d be leasing in quota just to go catch other stuff with 100 percent observer coverage, it’s not fun. Pretty much same for dragging but Atleast it isn’t fixed gear.

Top Bottom