Turbo blueprinting

v8flooz

Ensign
Boat Make
36' Frank Osgood
Has anyone here had their turbo blueprinted? Supposedly doing so tightens up the tolerances and prevents exhaust blow by, increases boost pressure, power and eliminates black smoke. It's $950 for the turbo on my 6068 JD diesel and I'm Ok with that if it works.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
V8,

For what it's worth I've read most every post on boatdiesel forum over the past 6 years and this is the 1st time I've ever heard of having a turbo "blueprinted".

Of course me stating this means absolutely "crappola" ! :confused:

To answer your question....? "No clue" ;)

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Every post on Boatdiesel? Sounds like a job. Away from the internet, I've heard of it a few times, but I would think "blueprinting" is one of those terms that is thrown out there to sell a service that is already quite precise to begin with. I mean don't the manufacturers have an interest in building a high performance product to begin with? I could be OTL, but I too am skeptical.

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
Next time someone says, “I have a blueprinted engine”, smile and say, “So do I From the factory"! Only means done to a spec or if replacing a part that has been modified, you know what it is to make or match a new part.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Break out the scale. "Balanced and Blueprinted" they used to say. I think it meant more 25 or 30 years ago when things weren't so uniformly high performance. LOL.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Every post on Boatdiesel? Sounds like a job. Away from the internet, I've heard of it a few times, but I would think "blueprinting" is one of those terms that is thrown out there to sell a service that is already quite precise to begin with. I mean don't the manufacturers have an interest in building a high performance product to begin with? I could be OTL, but I too am skeptical.

Not TOO hard to do "if" you keep up daily with the posts :D

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
You can find a better area to drop 1000 bucks, average turbocharger can spin up to 150K Rpm, if tolerances were off a bit what do you think would happen.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Don't waste your money. Turbochargers are already precisely balanced to meet the mapping requirements for the power output of the engine and air flow required to do so. There is also some engineering safety factor built if for deterioration of performance to some extent within allowable margins and tolerance. Keep it clean on the diffuser faces and in the compressor housing. If it is wastegated, make sure the hose isn't leaking and be sure to check that the control spring isn't broken, but you would know if it was as you would have a very lazy responding engine and low power on top end. Use good oil and change your oil frequently. Don't allow for water, or dirt ingress. Change your air filter or clean it regularly. If you follow those principals you will be doing all that you need to do. Creating more boost pressure only gives more power if you have fuel to add to the ratio.

unclefish

Commander
Boat Make
32 Mitchell Cove
Be carefully the guy who boat my parents boat sent them down south and had it done. First trip to the canyon 1 engine blew on the way there the other blew on the way home.

Curmudgeon

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44' Stanley, 40 Webbers Cove, 19 Ocean Pointer
Sure you could tighten up the tolerances to almost zero, doubt you'll see any return on your money.

v8flooz

Ensign
Boat Make
36' Frank Osgood
I appreciate the replies and this is pretty much what I thought. I have done a lot of mods (larger turbo, custom intercooler, performance injector pump, custom injectors, custom straight through 6" exhaust) to my John Deere 6068 and still don't have the power I would like to have. It does smoke more than I would like it to. I actually went back to stock JD injectors late last season and only lost one MPH. Anyways, it's a sickness, trying to make this boat faster. Next winters project is water injection and possibly nitrous also.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
I appreciate the replies and this is pretty much what I thought. I have done a lot of mods (larger turbo, custom intercooler, performance injector pump, custom injectors, custom straight through 6" exhaust) to my John Deere 6068 and still don't have the power I would like to have. It does smoke more than I would like it to. I actually went back to stock JD injectors late last season and only lost one MPH. Anyways, it's a sickness, trying to make this boat faster. Next winters project is water injection and possibly nitrous also.

something you might not want to hear so take it how you will, 6068 is a great motor, but its not going to do what you want. temporary power adders are great ..... for tractor pulling. To use the power adder you will have to prop for its max rated output to get it to do what you want, the rest of the time your not on the button, you'll be over propped. you engine will not last anywhere near its rating doing this. You need more displacement period. You can add all the injector you want, it means jack shit without increasing airflow. Propane would be a safe choice then nitrous, even washer fluid will give you incredible gains if setup right. You boat, good luck. One thing you should expect when hot rodding, is things go boom eventually.

Top Bottom