Twin disc tag clean up

riskybusiness

Commander
Boat Make
35 five islands
Anyone have any bright ideas for cleaning up a tag for my twin disc gear that floated around in the bilge for god knows how long before I bought it? I don't care about making it look nice to put it back on I just want to write down the serial number and everything else I can't read off of it so if I ever need that for parts I can get it easy. Have a couple ideas but don't wanna try it and have it become totally in readable as a result

image.jpg

Ol Gilnetter

Commander
Lite User

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
What about baking soda and vinegar and some water in a small open can? I remember that working well to clean up without destoying things? I could be wrong but somewhere along my life I remember clearly using that method for something similar but it was a while ago.

jnoon

Lieutenant Commander
Muratic acid, start diluted, work stronger as needed, looks stamped versus painted so you might get somwhere with acid and a chip brush, maybe some bronze wool...?

If you use Muriatic, definitely start with a really light solution, at least 5 parts water. The acid can eat through the thin bronze or brass, or at best turn it pink. We use it a lot to clean shipwreck artifacts and it works great, you just have to be careful. Be sure to soak in water afterwards, or water/baking soda will neutralize the acid.

PlumIs

Lieutenant
Boat Make
32 H&H
Before any soaking/solutions you may try putting a piece of paper on top and doing a pencil rubbing. You may try several weights of paper and see what you get for results.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
That tag has what they call "patina", and the expert on the Antique Road show says it's worth more money if you just leave it alone. (I know it's B.S., but I'm just trying to save RB some work. At least try some rum with that Coke!)

Top Bottom