Uh oh....is this what I think it is? Delam

ARC

Captain
Boat Make
31’ eastern Casco Bay
I removed all the bottom paint from my 10 year old 31’ I collected 90lb. I’m sure 20lb blew away in the wind.

southshore30

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
36 Northern Bay

Fishnjess

Captain
It will be a bit of a burden. But if the wood is dry in the areas you need it to be, all the fastened area are ok. It should be fine.

moonmist

Ensign
Ultra sound, oh we are in a boatyard tapping, tapping allows detection of delamination. Most likely a moisture meter would tell you if need to break out the grinder. Great boat and proven quality construction.

Shenton79

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Brownell
My advice is to lay bare the areas of concern so you can truly appraise the condition. The glass is only abrasion resistance and the wood is the hull structure. You have to restore the waterproof integrity of the skin. So I would chip and grind away the glass till you have a spot where the entire perimeter edge of the glass is unequivocally bonded to the wood planking. If you continue to find delaminated or damaged glass more than 12” from the initial starting point, you may want to assess continuing to remove glass skin vs. epoxy injection to fill the void and trying to rebond the skin.
Seems silly to ask but...you say chip away. You mean take a hammer and chisel to it and Strike off any bottom paint and glass that doesn’t fight back to stay with the boat and then start repairing from there?

Fishnjess

Captain
Let me take a stab at the answer, grind in a circle radiating out from the spot.
Grind, wipe, poke, sniff, until you find areas where the glass is bonded to the hull. Then you can do a patch if need be.
ArchHibb is telling you the real deal. The “rot” area needs the repair. Glass will only adhere to the area that are solid and dry. Otherwise it is like putting fresh paint on top of flaking paint.

ArchHibb

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
@Shenton
Removing glass by grinding or sanding involves aggressive tools. You want to minimize collateral damage to the wood planking. I find a hammer & chisel can be helpful to grab & peel up delaminated glass from bonded glass or core below. You can leave the chisel in place and grind off the resulting bulge of glass w/o injuring the core.

Top Bottom