Underwater LED color

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
What color Underwater do you have on your boat? I am looking for ideas I have had good luck with my green hydraglow but would like to move to mounted lights.

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
Opps, mine are not LED but 110 volt but they work out to 50-60 feet in the canyon. In the spring at night in Peconic Bay with the worm hatch about 15 feet. But that is still enough for the weakfish to see.

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
I know squid love green, white may be nice some times since the green kind of freaks me out after a while but everything seems to like it.

Kaiser

Lieutenant Commander
the new green hydro glow with LEDs rocks! with the 360 deg light I think it is way better than the mounted lights that are at best 120 deg

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

mcangelo41

Commander
After the 1000hp build thread last year that the boat sank and it was determined the boat sank because the under water lights failed,
I'll pass on under water lights, or maybe mount them on a pole and lower them over the side of the boat when needed :rolleyes:

I understand...But hard to believe if installed properly....But the less holes in your boat the better!

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
Yeah, I am thinking more the surface mount ones so the hole is only 3/8" at the most.

CaptAlex

Lieutenant
Boat Make
35' H&H
Here's a tip - do you want to attract dock skanks or baitfish?
If you seek skanks, have your underwater lights mounted facing astern.
If you're trying to draw bait to your boat, mount the light so it points DOWN and penetrates down into the depths ... a few of us have mounted them this way, and its the bomb for bringing up bait.
... and Green, White or Blue, in that order

manni-yunk

Commander
After the 1000hp build thread last year that the boat sank and it was determined the boat sank because the under water lights failed,
I'll pass on under water lights, or maybe mount them on a pole and lower them over the side of the boat when needed :rolleyes:

Can you post a link to that thread - I would like to read it

Thank You!

EDIT - I found the thread..........read it........and Im scared of underwater lights now!!!! WOW

Last edited:

Kaiser

Lieutenant Commander
Dock Scank? I always use purple lights for them, brings em right out!

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
There are some that are designed to go on your tabs, and others that just mount with a few screws letting you route the wire to above the waterline and over the rail if you want. Lots of options but they are not all bright enough to bother over the hydraglow I already have. I want pack less crap on a trip and the lights would be nice and can be skank bait if the old lady and I fall out.

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Last edited:

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
I have the LED one, it is a great light for squid and drifting at night. just tired of the wires and more crap in the water. The coastal night lights look like crap but I have some of the strip lights that worked like a champ. If anything they may be brighter than I want. I am really thinking about getting the ocean LED a12s they look like good quality with only a small hole.

Last edited:

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I have the LED one, it is a great light for squid and drifting at night. just tired of the wires and more crap in the water. The coastal night lights look like crap but I have some of the strip lights that worked like a champ. If anything they may be brighter than I want. I am really thinking about getting the ocean LED a12s they look like good quality with only a small hole.
From past expirence I would avoid OceanLED at all costs. When most of the local dealers in our area drop their product that will tell you something just isn't right.
Lumitec (Marine LED Flood Lights, Lumitec Underwater Lights - Lumitec Lighting | Lumitec Lighting) makes a nice product and is a good company that will stand behind their products, unlike the company mentioned above.

Top Bottom