Underwater lights

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by Bill, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Bill

Bill Administrator

Boat Make:
    27 Terry Jason
    Looking for suggestions on a light(s) for jigging bait at night.. large assortment of choices from low $ to high $$$$..

Bill,
  2. Bpd92

Bpd92 Senior Member

Keeping your lights on
    Boat Make:
    35 Duffy, Eastern 18
    One of the sporty boats at my marina has led lights from Macris Industries. They have a slim profile no metal to corrode and i watched the install it was a single smallish (maybe 3/8 hole)for the wires and then just 4200 to glue it onto the boat, no screw holes. I dont think they are too expensive.

Bill likes this.
  3. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    We've been pretty die hard when it comes to the Lumishore brand. NOT to be confused with Lumitec, of which the underwater lights literally melt. On T-Jason I would look at the surface mount options out there like BPD mentoned, very small hole for the cable, no thru-hull fittings plus the drivers are built into the fixture. Usually once we get to 35 or if people are looking for lights underneath not just the transom do we look at flush mount thru hulls. Lumishore has their surface mount SMX series, I'd look at the SMX52s for your boat which are actually geared towards raising bait with the stobe mode and color fade; they all come as white AND blue, high lumen output. Nicest thing is they have a 90 degree beam angle, so you don't need as many to get that 'halo' spread. I've also heard nothing but good things about Macris, although I honestly have only done maybe three boats over the past two years so I'm not sure about support post-sale, but haven't gotten any phone calls so that's always a good sign. Was a little disappointed when Macris Industries made a deal with West Marine, but nothing really shocks me these days. We still get good pricing on them, and they do have a great lumen to dollar ratio. Those would probably be my two choices.

4. restless

restless Captain

If you want to go quick and easy with no holes, you can get a 4' Hydro Glow light. Alligator clips to battery. They put out a lot of light.

5. Hilda

Hilda Member

Lumishore units work very well.

6. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, Grady white 268 Islander 250 OX66, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    Bumping this back up.

Anything change in the underwater light scene?

What is the go to setup now, bang for buck etc. ?

Mr. Rat what you got for pricing on the Lumishore?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  7. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

1st Engineer, Seadrill Americas
    Boat Make:
    34 Libby, 14 Holland
    For guys with underwater lights, what are you using to keep growth off them? Or do you just clean them often? The Macris lights look pretty good.