US NAVY USS Gonzales

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
They spend a lot of time spinning circles w/ those ships around Chesapeake Light Tower, so they should have it down by now. There is one out there every day best I can tell. "Securite, securite...."

winterking

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
26’ Duffy

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Haven't seen that one, but I usually stay a few miles out when I'm working up there. I did get scolded for getting to close to a carrier once after I had been running a straight line transect for 30 miles and listening to 16 all the way. They just happened to pull the anchor before I got by. What a PIA. They wanted me to head off to the east. I told them I was on my way inshore and took their stern. From what I've seen over the last year and a half, when we need to send some ships out, they are ready to roll. They do a LOT of exercises off the VA Capes. Not sure how good that is for the fishing though, when thy go out and shoot it up or rock the ocean w/ sonar. I do know one day I was on the way back to Hatteras and one of the ships decided to fire some missiles right along the west wall of the Gulf Stream a hundred or so miles out where the longline fleet was trying to haul their gear. I felt for those guys. Navy ran them out of there and their gear was headed out in four knots of tide. They've got the whole ocean, but their ignorant asses had to go and shoot it up where guys were trying to make a living.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Just sayin' they just don't seem to give a shit about commerce so much of the time. Yet ultimately we are the ones paying for burning all that fuel. Most of my encounters w/ the Navy have been favorable, but they have been a real pain in the ass for a lot of fisherman down this way. How'd you like to watch your gear run off to the eastward for hours while they tell you to hang out miles inshore. Maybe you have. Kind of fucks up the whole program way I see it.

Top Bottom