Used Traps wanted

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
Im looking for some used traps. I would like 42"x21.5" x 15" traps, but will also take 36"x21.5"x15" traps. I would like shrimp twine for all heads and shark mouths for all parlors as that I will be fishing for crabs with these. No hoops on the parlor heads. Im not looking for a pile of mismatch gear. I would like them to match.
If anyone has a pile of used gear that they are willing to part with, or has a friend who does, please contact me and let me know what you have and what you want for it.

Ps, Im not in a hurry. so if the gear is still fishing and will not be available till the end of the season, thats ok. I plan on using them next season.

Thanks in advance

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
see stuff like this all the time on Facebook, under Maine Commercial Fishing Gear/Swap I think... not sure how to post it here...

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
Any help is greatly appreciated. Really would like to make a move if I could find the right traps.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Maine & Mass Craigslist always have lots of traps on them. Check out the crab traps that Brooks builds, large oval shaped hoops in the rear parlor, i'd bet they load up with crabs.
z-Offshore-Crab-Pot.jpg

z-Offshore-Crab-Pot.jpg

Last edited:

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
Ya, I have seen those steve. But one, I do not want to buy new traps, and two even the oval shaped hoop in unacceptable. One of the main reasons that I want the shark mouths is that along with catching crabs well, they tend to catch a lot of tautog if you just let them sit. The hoops very catch tautog.

mudhake

Captain
look at uncle henrys. A Maine classified magazine that comes out every week. Go to the commercial boat and equipment section. there is always a ton of traps for sale .

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Ya, I have seen those steve. But one, I do not want to buy new traps, and two even the oval shaped hoop in unacceptable. One of the main reasons that I want the shark mouths is that along with catching crabs well, they tend to catch a lot of tautog if you just let them sit. The hoops very catch tautog.

"The hoops very catch tautog" ???? Just buy used traps and change the heads to what you want, the money is in the cages and shrimp web is cheap. Are you thinking single or double parlor heads ??

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
if you want tog, why not rig a few with fingers. you will not need many traps to get to 10 fish

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Any help is greatly appreciated. Really would like to make a move if I could find the right traps.

The size is odd. I make something along that size but they are not as long.

The longest I have is 39" in 10 gauge in that box size . I have everything from just about junk to brand new. It is too early to tell what I will be doing with them.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
I may be interested lobster. Please let me know when you are ready, I am assuming that you still have all of your gear in the water??

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
In all fairness though, those oval hoops would probably catch the togs. I do sometimes catch togs with the small hoops that I have now, but only small ones. The togs are just an added bonus. When the crabbing is slow and the togs are running, you can just put your gear in the rock n forget it for a month then go haul. There will be togs in the traps if they are able to get in. Thats where the shark mouths are best. The truth is that I havnt tried those oval hoops before, but now that I really think about it, they would probably catch the togs very well. And I am sure that they slam the crabs too. I think that I may cut some of my hoops out and replace them with ovals as an experiment.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
In all fairness though, those oval hoops would probably catch the togs. I do sometimes catch togs with the small hoops that I have now, but only small ones. The togs are just an added bonus. When the crabbing is slow and the togs are running, you can just put your gear in the rock n forget it for a month then go haul. There will be togs in the traps if they are able to get in. Thats where the shark mouths are best. The truth is that I havnt tried those oval hoops before, but now that I really think about it, they would probably catch the togs very well. And I am sure that they slam the crabs too. I think that I may cut some of my hoops out and replace them with ovals as an experiment.

I'd give them a try for sure, you might want to add a couple of the hoop gates/triggers on them to hold the bucktoothed critters in. You might think about putting some in longways so they are the same shape as the fish, sort of like a NJ style sea bass trap.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I may be interested lobster. Please let me know when you are ready, I am assuming that you still have all of your gear in the water??

I always have traps on hand. I typically get rid of the worst first. It works out for the people who don't care if they lose them or starting out and just trying to get traps for cheap money. I would have to get new trap pricing for new traps and a sliding scale for everything in between. I have every size imaginable and probably every color and combination of colors. Its something I do for some reason????

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I always have traps on hand. I typically get rid of the worst first. It works out for the people who don't care if they lose them or starting out and just trying to get traps for cheap money. I would have to get new trap pricing for new traps and a sliding scale for everything in between. I have every size imaginable and probably every color and combination of colors. Its something I do for some reason????

The elusive technicolor killer trap !!! I've been down that trail with shrimp traps and i really think it all boils down to good head design and better yet good bottom:D.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
The elusive technicolor killer trap !!! I've been down that trail with shrimp traps and i really think it all boils down to good head design and better yet good bottom:D.

I agree, A person can have the best trap in the world but if the regulation changes don't allow you to keep what typically inhabits your area.. it probably doesn't matter what a person fishes:D

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
Im still looking guys. If anyone has any that are half decent and dont want a riduculous price, please let me know.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I was checking out my traps in the yard today and.. I found some 39 x 22.5 x15 all green traps in very good shape. I think I only fished them one season... maybe four seasons ago. It would cost me about $80 each to replace them. You can have them for 50 each if you grab 10. There could be 15 you can pick from/best of. or take them all.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
I appreciate the offer, but 15 isnt nearly enough. Im looking for at least 150-200 traps. And I am also looking to spend less than that. Some older gear thats a little beat up will suit me better seeing as Im crabbing. The little bastards eat the heads right out of the traps. Do you have anything else??

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I appreciate the offer, but 15 isnt nearly enough. Im looking for at least 150-200 traps. And I am also looking to spend less than that. Some older gear thats a little beat up will suit me better seeing as Im crabbing. The little bastards eat the heads right out of the traps. Do you have anything else??

I do have all kinds of stuff. Anywhere from 34" to 48" If you want to fix some there could be a fair amount you can have at much less .
I think a lot of them are multi color. My son is bringing some of his stuff home so you might be able to grab some of his too. I probably have about 1200/between mine and his which most are not for sale . Depending on the price range could depend on what would be available to sell.

Last edited:

nick4634

Lieutenant
jwalka if you hace aceess to a bid trailer you should monitor uncle henrys and maine craiglit. i usually take a 20 ft trailer up downeast every spring and get 100 4 ft traps all matching in good to great overall shape for 15 to 20 bucks a piece. A 2 yr old trap that cost one of those downeast guys 70 bucks new, they sell for half the price.

Top Bottom