Using a drogue/sock/sea anchor

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
Does anyone fish with a drift sock, and if you do, what do you use for line (size, length, sink or float) and buoy? I have a 22' boat and just bought a Jim Buoy 928 30". I've never used a sock before and I'm wondering if there's a method to the madness when rigging it with lines. I was just going to use some sinking pot warp for main line and then get some floating line for the trip line? Not sure if they come with a swivel so I'll probably have to grab one. I'll be using mostly tied to a cleat to slow the drift while fishing but I will also use it to tow off the stern if I ever got stuck in high following seas. I have a water ski/tubing bridal I can use for that.

Codcruncher

Captain
Does anyone fish with a drift sock, and if you do, what do you use for line (size, length, sink or float) and buoy? I have a 22' boat and just bought a Jim Buoy 928 30". I've never used a sock before and I'm wondering if there's a method to the madness when rigging it with lines. I was just going to use some sinking pot warp for main line and then get some floating line for the trip line? Not sure if they come with a swivel so I'll probably have to grab one. I'll be using mostly tied to a cleat to slow the drift while fishing but I will also use it to tow off the stern if I ever got stuck in high following seas. I have a water ski/tubing bridal I can use for that.
Yup..220' of rode, I like 3/8 " braid....25' of chain...floating on your trip line about 25' , and your swivel....should be good

Codcruncher

Captain
Where does the chain go?
I run 2 swivels as well...one at the rode to chain and one at the chain to anchor...the sea anchor will want to twist some....plus, don't forget a polyball on the trip line...I'm sure you knew that anyway...just figured I would say

novivin

Captain
Holy cow. That is a serious sea anchor rig. Are you outside 12 mi cod fishing or haddock fishing off a 40’ boat codcruncher? I have a boat like the OP and I use a light 3/8 line, no chain and no trip line. Keep it close to the boat. It has a trip strap attached to the bridle straps to aid retrieval. Where I use it the fleets are thick and letting a sea anchor out that distance would be:
A- impossible. Too many boats too little space
B- incredibly rude. Boxing people out of the drift
C- generally unnecessary. Inshore is not the Flemish Cap.
To ease retrieval, I just bump it into reverse and pull the line of it is windy.

Codcruncher

Captain
Holy cow. That is a serious sea anchor rig. Are you outside 12 mi cod fishing or haddock fishing off a 40’ boat codcruncher? I have a boat like the OP and I use a light 3/8 line, no chain and no trip line. Keep it close to the boat. It has a trip strap attached to the bridle straps to aid retrieval. Where I use it the fleets are thick and letting a sea anchor out that distance would be:
A- impossible. Too many boats too little space
B- incredibly rude. Boxing people out of the drift
C- generally unnecessary. Inshore is not the Flemish Cap.
To ease retrieval, I just bump it into reverse and pull the line of it is windy.
That's fine...I just set it up to throw off the stern in a big following sea...you can set it however you want on a drift....

novivin

Captain
That's fine...I just set it up to throw off the stern in a big following sea...you can set it however you want on a drift....
These things do twist like crazy. Maybe get a stainless swivel that spins freely. My galvanized one is not great at keeping it free. I may have to rethink my rigging of it a little. I by no means meant to degrade your suggestions codcruncher. I think that rig sounds bulletproof for how you would use it. Short repeated drifts require things to be simple. Maybe that is how I should have prefaced my two cents.

Soundownsam

Lieutenant
First Name
Sam
I run a 66" sea anchor with about 15-20' of line off the my bow cleat of my 21' Parker. It works quite well and is fine unless I have 4 kids fishing on on side and then I wish I had a little more line to avoid tangles. You can probably get away with a smaller bag if you are not typically fishing in Buzzards Bay. I'm regularly out in 15-20kts and need the size not to get blown out. I will probably add a float ahead of the anchor to get it to set quicker and cleaner.

sam

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
I run a 66" sea anchor with about 15-20' of line off the my bow cleat of my 21' Parker. It works quite well and is fine unless I have 4 kids fishing on on side and then I wish I had a little more line to avoid tangles. You can probably get away with a smaller bag if you are not typically fishing in Buzzards Bay. I'm regularly out in 15-20kts and need the size not to get blown out. I will probably add a float ahead of the anchor to get it to set quicker and cleaner.

sam
Will a float ahead of the anchor do that? Some of the diagrams I've seen show chain (weight) ahead of the anchor and even a weight behind the anchor under the buoy on the release line. Maybe its weight that will get it to set better?

I just got mine in the mail this morning. 30" Jim Buoy. I'm going to get a couple stainless swivels, rig a short length of chain and use 5/16" sinking pot warp for the main line and floating ski tow line for the trip line, just because that's what I have on hand. Hopefully it works well enough I don't have to screw around with it. Having a flat bottom boat without much keel and wheelhouse acting like a sail, I pretty much drift the speed and direction of the wind and its always seems to be faster than I'd like.

My first time in Buzzards Bay was a few weeks ago and I think we would have caught our limit of seabass in half the time if I could have slowed the drift just 1 knot.

Last edited:

novivin

Captain
You are right on. Drift speed of 1-0.7 knots is the reasonable high end speed. You can work with a little above a knot but not much more. 1.5 is a killer.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Top Bottom