V8 1150 in Wesmac 42

xbskt

Vice Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
28 Crowley Beal
How many liters displacement is that motor?
Will you stay dual exhaust? What size.
What gear is that?
Is the diamond plate lid factory or your custom touch?
Awesome motor in an awesome boat!
Diesel Jerry's is gonna need a private moment.:)

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Beauly

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
Dyer 29

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.woundupmarine.com
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
so clearly the engine is "hanging" off the stringers by a number of through bolted (with backing plates) brackets (4 each side?) v/s "sitting" on top of the stringers and bolted down into them. Is this common practise when the stringers are set wider than the engine and it is desired to sit the engine lower? (maybe the stringers were set with anticipated engine dimensions and so planned to have engine hang off stringers?)
The vast majority of engines would sit high in the hull if the isolators were mounted on top of the stringers. This is especially true when the main stringers are tall and robust like Wesmac’s stringers. In some cases it is possible to mount the isolators on top of the stringers like your boat, but that’s not possible with all engines.

Last edited:

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

harpoon83

Captain
First Name
Colin
I feel that "most" engines are hung inside the stringers to get it lower into the bilge.

I have seen a few mounted on top of the stringers, but I will be honest I never thought that they were simply lagged into the stringer.

I guess I always assumed there was something that had been glassed over, like a hidden tapped plate or a nut or something.

In that picture above I figured that the block of wood under the mount was bolted to the mount and then they glassed the block to the stringer. That's how I would do it at least, relying on a lag to hold your engine in place seems like a terrible idea to me.

ARC

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31’ eastern Casco Bay
The whole boat is being pushed from the engine mount. Bolting down into a stringer just can’t be as strong as a complete bed bolted to the side of the stringer.

Beauly

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
Dyer 29
Top Bottom