Vacuum bagging a panel

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
I’ve been vacuum bagging my own panels for a while now. It’s a tremendous savings over buying them premade and a pretty simple process once your setup. I’m definitely a backyard boat builder but for what we use this stuff for these panels are perfect. Here’s a few shots of the process.
Table comes apart and I can stand the top piece up against the wall once I’m done. Top sheet is stainless sheet metal. The sheeting is just 5mil I believe. All Home Depot stuff. Bear with me theyll
Be a few posts I don’t know how to add comments in between pics.

5E494744-D995-4045-8054-FD9DAFA717B4.jpeg

Last edited:

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
The whole panel takes about 2 gallons of resin. All materials including rollers is a little under $150 when buying resin in a drum. A premade 3/4 panel now has to be $350 plus. Premade panels are lighter but no where near as strong. If I’m doing finish work like cabinets I’ll put gelcoat down before the first wetout of resin. That fills any small voids that may occur.

Offshore121

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User
First Name
Tyler
Boat Make
31JC

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
Last edited:

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Really?! leave it running the whole time or do you use a shut off valve once you create enough vacuum pressure?
Yeah leave it on for about 2 hours. If you have a perfect seal I assume you could put a valve inline and just shut that.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Are you using any peel ply or that fance vacuum sheet stuff?

Nice job.
No peel ply. The resin doesn’t bleed through to the top of the nida. If you wanted 2 smooth sides you could probably use peel ply to achieve that but most panels only require one and 99% of it gets fairer and sanded regardless.

pjohnson

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Dyer 29, Shields
I’ve only bagged core down, and then regular wet layup on top. I did once try a wet layup, and bagging that (with peel ply and breather) and it sucked the laminate dry, so ground that out and never tried again.

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
Very cool table. I would be interested in seeing more of the table, this is high on my list of additions to the shop.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
It’s really nothing special. It’s a steel frame with plywood on top. I extended the parameter with 1x4. It sits on a steel rolling cart.

Top Bottom