value of 3116/zf trans

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
I bought this 31 Duffy, and I like the boat. The Engine runs absolutely perfect, but I kind of feel like I need more power. It is a 300hp 3116, 3200 total hours. In boat, running perfect. I need to crawl down and get the Tranny info off the tag. The head was replaced, by HO PENN just a few hours ago. No leaks, no smoke oil on stick looks like it is brand new.
What do you think the package is worth? I know all about the reputation of the motor and its history. Just looking for opinions on the value of the package. If I sell it, I would welcome sea trials and encourage mechanical inspections.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Glen, The guy that Rich bought his 3208 from had a 3116 with about the same hours.......she was bobtail and he was asking 3500 .......he told us he was having trouble moving it because of its bad stereotype......

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
If that's all it's worth I will keep it. Shame is, once the heads are done they are theoretically good to go. Was hoping for more speed out of boat. Thought maybe a reman 370b would be a good fit

Last edited:

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
If that's all it's worth I will keep it. Shame is, once the heads are done they are theoretically good to go. Was hoping for more speed out of boat. Thought maybe a reman 370b would be a good fit

He is having trouble moving it at that price. So that could mean it isn't worth that much .I know and heard of guys just yanking those engines out and getting rid of them. They have such a bad reputation , they can't be given away.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power

370 "new" REMAN would be a great choice. You'll gain 200 cruise rpm.
Use the diameter and pitch you have now and figure your extra speed gained using the same gear ratio.
Much simpler engine to maintain and very robust if setup and maintained correctly.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
What is maintained correctly for a cat?

Change oil every 25 hrs or once a month, whichever occurs first? check and adjust valve clearance every 50 hours or once for each season of the year. Check crank shaft annually for wear. Put new bearing on at each check. Rebuild turbo every 100 hrs. Pressure test cooling system after every usage. Torque harmonic balancer every 5 hours of use or if the engine has been under a temperature change of more than 25 degrees whether it be from operation or just air temp. Replace injectors every 7 hrs, replace air filter every 10 hours. Maintain you cat engine correctly and you should get at least 3,000 hours of trouble free operation. Warranty is void and owners fault if you fail to have maintained the engine as suggested.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
I know a few of these engines with thousands of hours on them. There not all junk.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
What's up with that I wont shot on Volvo Cuz you break a belt each the the pully seas up not would we

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I guess I wouldn't try to sell it here!

please don't:p

The chances of getting a good one that will last like a real diesel should , are slim. It would be like winning the lottery big. It happens ,but not to most of us.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Glen, The guy that Rich bought his 3208 from had a 3116 with about the same hours.......she was bobtail and he was asking 3500 .......he told us he was having trouble moving it because of its bad stereotype......

The stereo type was earned early on its been made for the last what 25 years now? Funny how a new model designation put on it and peoples tune changes.

List your engine for a reasonable price where ever you want.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM

Change oil every 25 hrs or once a month, whichever occurs first? check and adjust valve clearance every 50 hours or once for each season of the year. Check crank shaft annually for wear. Put new bearing on at each check. Rebuild turbo every 100 hrs. Pressure test cooling system after every usage. Torque harmonic balancer every 5 hours of use or if the engine has been under a temperature change of more than 25 degrees whether it be from operation or just air temp. Replace injectors every 7 hrs, replace air filter every 10 hours. Maintain you cat engine correctly and you should get at least 3,000 hours of trouble free operation. Warranty is void and owners fault if you fail to have maintained the engine as suggested.

That's hilarious.

pugsley

Captain
i know guys with them in crab boats and they get 8-11K hours out of them, i wouldn't be scared of one with 3200 hours.

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop

SO How do you reallllly feel about that motor

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Could be funny I'm not the one with gear in the water lol isn't this site about being helpful and not tht bull shit come on when you were selling your boat no one shit on you Volvo come on all you do is bitch and nag your like an old cunt

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
LMAO .... "old cunt" I was thinking ASSHOLE but old cunt has a nicer ring to it.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Could be funny I'm not the one with gear in the water lol isn't this site about being helpful and not tht bull shit come on when you were selling your boat no one shit on you Volvo come on all you do is bitch and nag your like an old cunt

Are you addressing me??? I have a couple boats for sale with Volvos. Hows your reading comprehension? I got my boats dragged all over hell and back. In the case of a 3116.. it deserves to be told of its reputation. That is helpful. It saves someone from throwing good money at something they can't get a return on. My boats , when the Duffy was in storage, it was priced to get a return for any work done to it. If nobody wanted to save thousands by doing a few hundred dollars worth of work , it wasn't up to me to make that decision. The Duffy lobster boats that have sold were priced well above what I'm asking. If you are talking about my fishing gear.. I guess you are in charge of baby sitting it.. You know, You are the first person i'll have to think of.

Last edited:

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
I know of two 3116s running daily with 7 and 10k. AND I started my thread saying I was aware of the motors reputation. So I do feel pretty well shit on at this point. I wanted to know what it was worth with the gear. That's it. I don't remember anyone shitting on your Duffy, just the price. Sell it yet?

Top Bottom