VE vs Poly

manni-yunk

Commander
I know many builders either A) use VE on the first few laminates - or B) offer VE on the first few as an option.

My question would be - besides adding a few grand to the cost - why not just use VE for the entire lay up? Are there any negatives besides added cost? Perhaps it is increased strength that is not necessary? If you were building a boat that you planned to keep forever (like that ever happens) - would you use VE for the entire layup if the cost was not that much more?

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
If the dream boat would be cored, I would go all vinylester. It does provide improved stiffness and is considered to be waterproof. Otherwise I think I might go poly with vinylester inner and outer layups to avoid water intrusion. For a high tech approach with solid glass construction and good strength to weight savings, I would go all vinylester. There is no such thing as being too strong when hull meets rock. Disclaimer: I am not a builder, I'm just another junkie addicted to their brand of crack. ;)

KBriggs

Ensign
Website
www.petitmananboat.com
I think vynlester is becoming the norm you can glass vynlester to epoxy and polyester you cannot the only difference to be aware of that I have been told is polyester has a 72 hr max bonding period and vynlester is 24 hr max bonding period

Top Bottom