VHF radio

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Looking to upgrade my VHF this winter. I currently have a icom 502 with an 8ft digital antenna that I'll keep in place. Looking to add another with a large antenna on the side of the house. What's a good unit? Is it worth putting a 22ft on the side of the house or will an 8ft on the radar arch do the same? Thanks

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
The 8' in 6db on the ICOM 502 is a real nice set up but if your adding an additional radio I would go with the Standard GX2150 with the bult in AIS receiver(receive only) and a 22' 10 db antena. The only issue with the 10db antena is that being such a narrow beam it could tend to cut in and out on rough days or anytime that the boat is rolling heavily side to ide or for and aft for that matter. The transmit and receive distance will be significantly improved on most days with the 10db antena. The AIS unit is nice when laying to at night and you see or do not see that ship in the distance. It should tell you who it is what channel hes on his heading and his speed, kinda nice.

Beamie

Commander
Check out the different models of Comrod antennas. You will spend more money for this brand but thier one of the best in the industry.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Thanks guys, I've heard good things about the comrod antennas.

Question, the higher the Antenna I'm sure the better the signal but if I put an 8 or 10 foot antenna on my arch will I get the same results as putting a long antenna on the side if there basically the same height? Is the base an antenna or just an extension?

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
Thanks guys, I've heard good things about the comrod antennas.

Question, the higher the Antenna I'm sure the better the signal but if I put an 8 or 10 foot antenna on my arch will I get the same results as putting a long antenna on the side if there basically the same height? Is the base an antenna or just an extension?

The higher the antenna the farther the distance, has nothing to do with signal transmit and receive, your beating the curvature of the earth. Certain atmospheric conditions will allow you to bounce off the ionosphere. It rare so don't bet on it. If long distance com is your worry, single side band is your only radio option. the most expensive vhf antenna in the world will not help you

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Can't help a radio sugestion but get Morad antenna mounted on one of morads 10ft gold extention sticks, bulletproof. do not waste your money on others.

Last edited:

downtheline

Ensign
I have an ICOM 604 for sale

It is a 2011 and under warranty until april 2014. was just given a complete check up by ICOM. if you are interested let me know. Happy Holidays.

Top Bottom