vibration

tunawishing

Lieutenant Commander
ok so i got a new boat 42 provincial 2003 430 cummins had a vibration over 2200 rpms when talking to the previous owner he stated that the prop has never been off so i figured that was going to be the vibration . hauled the boat out today and the wheel looks great but when i grabbed the rudder it moved so had a friend open the hatch to the steering and the bushings are worn duel ram system and one piston seems to be moving .so do you guys think this is the vibration

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Wheel looking great means nothing. You will not pick up a pitch bend by eye. I would pull the wheel and have it scanned for starters.
The rudder could add vibration if it is that lose. Easy to check, just run the boat with the hatch off and see if the rudder dances around.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
Doubtful.Do you have a cutlass on the outside,if so how much can you move the shaft.How tight is the bottom bearing on the rudder.Probably has a solid glass deck which telegraphs a small vibration.Where is the vibration,over the wheel or up by the engine?How much tip clearance to hull?

tunawishing

Lieutenant Commander
i am going to check the wheel for sure and fix the rudder just looking for your thoughts the rudder will move a solid 3 inches

tunawishing

Lieutenant Commander
the vibration is over the wheel tip clearance is good bottom rudder bearing is tight

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Over the tips? Are you loosing ant bottom paint in that area. Also yes check the cutlass bearing if it has play it will allow the shaft to dance some. Your rudder should have almost zero play with dual rams.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
If your vibration is over the top of the wheel you may need cup in the wheel. It sounds like the vibration is water hitting the hull off the top of the wheel but its hard to tell because you don't know if this happened over time or has always been the case. Sounds like you rudder needs to be dealt with either way.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
If it is wheel clearance some cupping will help. That is why you need to see if you are losing any bottom paint. Keep in mind that cupping is not free and it will cost you some RPMs.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Cutlass could then be the problem. Does your shaft Have a water feed off the motor? If so make sure it is not plugged, A clogged water feed will kill a bearing quickly.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
The way they built them with all the bulk heads in aft they vibrate with no problems. On a nother end they look like they be hard to sink

tunawishing

Lieutenant Commander
yes it is getting water in there it has an external cutlass housing .the rudder has some play so will replace the bushings in the steering .also thanks for the help guys greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom