Vicem 40

Cape Jake

Deckhand
First Name
Jake
Hadn't come across Vicem yet in our search, need to do some research. Uncertain if they even qualify as a true "Downeast" boat, but what a nicely finished vessel. Out of our size/price range, but impressed with what looks to be a lot of boat for the money. Any comments on their reputation?

'09 Vicem 40 YachtWorld

sp543

1st Mate
Cold molded in Turkey.

Some of the older, early 2000's Vicems I've seen looked a bit rough. Can't say for certain whether that's a quality issue from the factory or a maintenance issue.

xbskt

Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
13 Whaler, 14 Salty Boats, 28 Crowley Beal, 36 Northern Bay. WTF!?!
Different strokes for different folks but if I was shopping in that price range it would be Wesmac or better yet Morgan Bay while we are dreaming.

Cool Boat

Captain
I did not get into the bilge but the ones I saw at Annapolis Power Show were gorgeous, with attention to detail, and upon stepping on the swim platform, barely moved/felt heavy.

John Allin

1st Mate
First Name
john
Boat Make
2022 Bruckmann Abaco 47 - Hull #2
They're nice boats - this one is straight shaft drive ...not IPS like the Sabres and newer Vicems.
That's a plus in my book.

MonacoMike

Deckhand
First Name
Mike
I have one of the smaller Vicems , 38, (they make some pretty large vessels), and I love it, it is all mahogany (cold molded) and strong as hell.
I do have outdrives which is my only negative on the boat, I'm used to straight shafts.
The bilge is a beautiful place, very well laid out and gorgeous with all the wood. The interior 2-part varnish is still as good as new since 2009
and the exterior is minimal but a new coat goes on every few years.
We wanted a boat that is comfortable and a place you'd want to hang around on, this fits the bill. I will be moving to a larger Vicem when we are done with this one.

293129888_466837028778507_4993818925393807040_n.jpeg

TAftw

1st Mate
I’ve only been on a few at the boat shows and they seemed like a good boat. Heard from other people in the industry they’re great and they can compete hard against Hinckley/Back Cove/Sabre etc because of the cheaper labor cost in Turkey.

Fishonnelsons

Admiral
Lite User
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
First Name
Rich
Boat Make
38 Wesmac, 29 Dyer

Bern

1st Mate
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Muscle Ridge 28
(3) coats of Captains every 2 years has worked well for my seaside clients' Mahogany deck rails. Not too much sanding, mostly hand work.

John Allin

1st Mate
First Name
john
Boat Make
2022 Bruckmann Abaco 47 - Hull #2
(3) coats of Captains every 2 years has worked well for my seaside clients' Mahogany deck rails. Not too much sanding, mostly hand work.
Looking at some but the wood has me scared? One coat every 3-4 years to stay that nice? Daily weekly attention, how, what etc
It's not that bad and I second the Captains.
I use 1015 with two coats every other year...with some touch-up as needed in between.
It's tough to beat the looks of a good varnish job and worth the effort IMO.
Wouldn't recommend for a work boat though..better to just let teak weather to gray.

BSEA

1st Mate
A good testimonial for any boatbuilder is an owner who will move up to a larger model from the same (Vicem) builder. Meticulous wood working for sure on all the Vicems. I recall a post from someone in Turkey who found DEBF and was finishing a hull?

MonacoMike

Deckhand
First Name
Mike
As I mentioned the 2-part interlux varnish is still new from 2009 on the interior, there is little exposed wood on the exterior.
It holds up VERY well.

MonacoMike

Deckhand
First Name
Mike
Looking at some but the wood has me scared? One coat every 3-4 years to stay that nice? Daily weekly attention, how, what etc
Exterior every few years, the wood in the photo still has original finish.
I just wipe it down as I'm putzing about the boat every week. There are one or two spots at the base of a cabinet I need to redo as
it got some wear from feet and water.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
A good testimonial for any boatbuilder is an owner who will move up to a larger model from the same (Vicem) builder. Meticulous wood working for sure on all the Vicems. I recall a post from someone in Turkey who found DEBF and was finishing a hull?
Idris.. big hairy ones on him.. He read the Royal Lowell book and just figured out how to build a downeast in his dad's basement in Turkey.. love this guy. 28' Lobster boat

Untitled134.png

BSEA

1st Mate
That is the project! I wonder how he is progressing?

Top Bottom