volvo 41

reeg75

Lieutenant
can anyone give me info on a volvo 41 motor. never owned a volvo before. just trying to get information on them. Thanks

Dr Dude

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I had a TAMD41PA (200HP) loved the engine in a General Marine 26... Great engine, probably one of the better engines they have built.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
good engine when it runs, smoke like hell when they get long in the tooth. If you plan on doing any work on it require some speacialized tooling. Motor specific parts, can't rig shit without a lot of work. Keeps volvo in buisiness, you'll understand once you see the prices.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
5200 hours on my 41p when i sold it, always babied it cause they have NO BALLS, basic block is good its everything bolted on to it that goes to shit. I would never buy another volvo. If its a P series maybe but if its a A or B stay away.
dec engine.jpg

dec engine.jpg

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Steve,

I liked the extra's you did to yours...

what is the two strainers and 3way valve about on the suction? Where was the second suction going, to the bilge or was it to recirc something with your cold weather?

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Steve,

I liked the extra's you did to yours...

what is the two strainers and 3way valve about on the suction? Where was the second suction going, to the bilge or was it to recirc something with your cold weather?

Cooling(raw) water came in through the outdrive, thats the hose going to the back of the engine then into the strainer and into the engine, the other strainer was fed by a thru hill and was in case the drive plugged up with weeds or jellyfish. We have huge jelly fish(one per 5gal bucket) in PWS and when hauling gillnets they would be a rolling ball in the gillnets roll out and plug up the through hulls. I had a hydraulic pacer pump rigged to spray water out from my bow roller while i hauled the gillnet to wash the jelly out of the net, the net turns into a wall of jellies and the fish will not hit the net they just follow the wall of jellies around it.

Tower Todd

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.mountainequipmentservices.com
Boat Make
Albemarle 28
I've got 41P's in my boat and they have been trouble free for the most part. Volvo parts are spendy, but my local dealer has always had the parts or gotten them in next day. I've crossed all the filter to Napa and save a bunch. Smoke when cold and I do get some soot on the transom after a long trip. Some of the guages in the guage panels have been problematic, but all easy fixes.

machaca

Lieutenant Commander
Very good motors. I had two 41 a 's and got 10,000 hrs and repowered with the 41 p's- a lot less smoke and o rings.... The oil filters are mounted on the Side of the block so should not use napa filters as they may not have a check valve and oil drains out of filter when motor is sitting. Parts are a little pricey but run good make sure engine is bonded good as no zincs you can put a zinc in the after cooler

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I only used WIX oil filters on my 41 and always had to put a cut off gallon jug under the filter to catch all the oil in it, another stupid move by volvo engineers laying the oil filter on its side. Those engine are like a big rubber band winding up, give it some throttle and wait for the rpms catch up. NO BALLS.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I had no problems draining the TAMD41PA with any filters in it, usually got WIX. I would just put down a quart painters cup under it, also did it with engine COLD...

The TAMD41PA, atleast mine pushing the general marine 26 HOPPED up on ""plane"", literally felt like an OUTBOARD...

machaca

Lieutenant Commander
Tower todd- if the filter is mounted sideways(not the best engineering feat) and the oil pan is a foot below the filter with no check valve thee oil can leak back into the motor and out of the filter- due to gravity....the same vovlo mechanic or "salesman" in the same sentence as recomending vovlo oil filters did recommend using aftermarket secondary fuel filters to save a few bucks. I have good luck w the motors, steve in ak- did you replace the motor w another 200 hp motor and did that help? or did you increase the horsepower to get more"balls" maybe the lack of balls was due to the small duo props on the outddrive? Just trying to help a guy out...definetly not trying to hype vovlo motors......I would recommend the 41p to the guy looking at the boat and if he needs more power just say fuck it and order a 42 wesmac with a 1000 hp caterpiller aand he should be good to go

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Tower todd- if the filter is mounted sideways(not the best engineering feat) and the oil pan is a foot below the filter with no check valve thee oil can leak back into the motor and out of the filter- due to gravity....the same vovlo mechanic or "salesman" in the same sentence as recomending vovlo oil filters did recommend using aftermarket secondary fuel filters to save a few bucks. I have good luck w the motors, steve in ak- did you replace the motor w another 200 hp motor and did that help? or did you increase the horsepower to get more"balls" maybe the lack of balls was due to the small duo props on the outddrive? Just trying to help a guy out...definetly not trying to hype vovlo motors......I would recommend the 41p to the guy looking at the boat and if he needs more power just say fuck it and order a 42 wesmac with a 1000 hp caterpiller aand he should be good to go

Nope i sold the boat, never messed with the motor and i had it propped correctly turned up 3950 WOT till the day i sold it. There were probably over 200 of those engines in the fleet of boats in my fishery and they all were the same, rubber bands, load the boat with fish and it was even worse, when loaded i always ran mine easy never more than 2200rpm, glad i didn't have one of the 42's ALL of those in the fleet blew up in a short time :eek:

machaca

Lieutenant Commander
The 42s were total garbage lots of problems w the supercharger from what I can gather and the 40s had less balls and smoked like a bastard. The 41s were the best of the bunch and are good mechanical motors depending on their application, my guess is reeg75 was looking at a sport fishing boat either w a single motor in the 25-28 ft range or a 28-35 ft boat w twins. I would recommend them, if he was looking at a dragger or gillnetter Of course he would be better off with a slow turning motor w a continuous duty rating but I don't think that is the case. Reeg75 What type of boat and what are you doing with it?

machaca

Lieutenant Commander
Too small and not enough balls For that hull if its a single...I stand corrected Need more hp for that hull. If you buy the boat and repower I will buy the 41 from you for a spare if it is a 41p.....

Top Bottom