Volvo D6 310hp. How bad are they?

FirstLightNat

Ensign
Looking at a boat with one in,it it's a 2005 with 900 hrs light usage. Have heard of many issues from pulleys to turbos to saltwater leakage. Also have an experienced full time commercial friend who loves his. Any easy assistance you guys would offer, and who other than Guy Crudelle can fix one near Gloucester. Thanks for your help in advance! Nat

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Not many better mechanics around than Guy. But I hear he is insanely busy now.

FirstLightNat

Ensign
I would use him of course, but chartering I'm afraid his deservedly busy schedule might be a problem

Poco Loco

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
38' Calvin Beal
Looking at a boat with one in,it it's a 2005 with 900 hrs light usage. Have heard of many issues from pulleys to turbos to saltwater leakage. Also have an experienced full time commercial friend who loves his. Any easy assistance you guys would offer, and who other than Guy Crudelle can fix one near Gloucester. Thanks for your help in advance! Nat

I have 4,000 hours on my D6-350 and it has not lost any power or burned oil since it was new.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
I am not up there any more, but when I was, Guy would bend over backwards to keep a working person up and running. That being said there has to be others, but anyone good should be busy too. IMO

FirstLightNat

Ensign
Poco the boat Im looking at is a Mirage like yours so thats good to hear, is yours still going to come on the market at some point?

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Nat, my old BHM had the 63P volvo and I am fairly certain that the D6 was/is its replacement. I believe that the engines are similar in design and horsepower ratings but I am not positive. That being said, if the D6 has the reliability and power of the 63P it will be a great engine and last for many many hours. My 63P had over 5000 hours on it when I sold it and I do not recall replacing many parts on it in that time other than normal maintenance and wear components like injectors.
When you do have to buy any parts for them it will hurt, and hurt a lot. As you know, with as much good luck as I had with my Volvo I went with a Cummins in the new boat and it was all parts/maintenance cost driven.

Captain
I hear nothing but good things about the D6 engines, I sure hope they are true!

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I have a D6 330 with 4500+hrs
I have replaced all the pullies 3 times already. Runs great though.

Top Bottom