VOLVO D9 500hp

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Curious if anyone has experience or opinions on the new Volvo D9. I'm looking at the 500hp at 2,600rpm version. A few years ago I visited DE Boats and Composites and John was building/finishing a new 38' NB and it was powered with a Volvo D9 500hp. From his experience, he liked the engine. Thanks.

Scotth

Lieutenant Commander
I have talked to a few BB that have not had anything bad to say about them. Strongback put in a single, and a twin screw, have not heard any problems. One went into a Wegley as well a couple years ago, owner did not say anything bad. I heard you can get a good deal on them right now. They are a little heavier than others, but not too bad.

BTW, Coastal in Seattle had some pretty good pricing when I talked to them at Fish Expo.

Last edited:

cb34

Rear Admiral
D9

Curious if anyone has experience or opinions on the new Volvo D9. I'm looking at the 500hp at 2,600rpm version. A few years ago I visited DE Boats and Composites and John was building/finishing a new 38' NB and it was powered with a Volvo D9 500hp. From his experience, he liked the engine. Thanks.
Had that motor in my 34 Calvin, only put 700+ hrs on it. It always ran great, it was a very big and heavy 500hp motor. Only complaints were, nobody at the time could ever answer any questions (Volvo support). Very expensive parts (fuel filter and oil filters) and the motor was very loud:eek:.

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Had that motor in my 34 Calvin, only put 700+ hrs on it. It always ran great, it was a very big and heavy 500hp motor. Only complaints were, nobody at the time could ever answer any questions (Volvo support). Very expensive parts (fuel filter and oil filters) and the motor was very loud:eek:.

CB34, thanks for the response. It is the heaviest 9 liter 500hp out there, but only about 20lbs more than the 9 liter Deere. I heard that it was based off Volvo's 11 liter engine. The boat will be a 40', so not worried about a few extra pounds. Did you have a wet exhaust w/muffler? For my application, it would be dry exhaust, but I'll make sure to get the quietest muffler available. Thanks for the heads-up.

geosushi

Lieutenant
After That build. I don't think he feels the same way about that engine.

gary49

Lieutenant
Boat Make
34' Mainship I
D9 Volvo

My brother did a re-power with one of them, detuned to something like 350HP on the 58.5' launch at the marina where he worked. The engine that came out was a 10 liter Volvo that he had helped the previous owner of the marina install, circa 1975, it was was 33 years old when it finally gave out. Previous to that, the boat had a 6-71 Jimmy. Anyhow, the D9 has been satisfactory so far, but it is noisier than the 10 liter motor was, but definitely quieter than the Jimmy! It's electronic, so you get a lot more info from the helm display, which is nice. The launch has a dry stack, and the exhaust doesn't seem like the source of much noise, more the engine and turbo making the racket.

cb34

Rear Admiral
D9

Correct, not the exhaust. Motor is not a common rail, the engine itself is very loud. Do not think it would be an issue buried in a 40' commercial boat.

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Correct, not the exhaust. Motor is not a common rail, the engine itself is very loud. Do not think it would be an issue buried in a 40' commercial boat.

That's good information to know, and you're right, it will be buried in a big 40' commercial boat. I'll make plans to put thick sound down in the engine room. Thanks for the responses.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
I thought you were a big Iveco fan Powder? Why are you looking into different power?

If you do not wish to comment publically id understand

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I like Iveco, I have powered 2 new boats with Iveco's, they both performed great, were light weight, smooth, quiet, powerful, etc. Iveco doesn't have the presence on the west coast that it does on the east, hopefully in the near future it does, I think they are working on it as we speak. And once they have a stronger presence in the NW and Alaska, they are going to be a hot ticket. But I have been offered a good deal on a new Volvo D9 500hp for a new spec boat I am starting on this summer, so was just looking for opinions on the D9. I have already put down a deposit on the D9. I figured Volvo has been building them for about 10 years now, they should be a pretty good engine. And since the boat is 40', a little extra bulky engine is actually a plus in my book, it displaces 9.4 liters. Volvo also has good service available in Alaska, so that's another plus. And Volvo's seem to be popular in the NW/Alaska.

I think each manufacturer has pro's and con's in each displacement/HP category and in their ability to service the customer. I think Iveco has got the competition beat big time with their 6.7 liter engine. Their 9 liter is in competition with a very good 9 liter John Deere, a good 8.3 Cummins, and the Volvo D9. Their C13 is also competing with a good 13.5L Deere, 13L Volvo, and Scania. So I guess there a lot of things to consider before saying 1 engine is better than the other, or 1 is preferable over the other.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
My buddy had a d9 575hp in his nb. Upgraded to the d11 (same block) for speed but he loved the d9 and had bunch of hours on it.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
I like Iveco, I have powered 2 new boats with Iveco's, they both performed great, were light weight, smooth, quiet, powerful, etc. Iveco doesn't have the presence on the west coast that it does on the east, hopefully in the near future it does, I think they are working on it as we speak. And once they have a stronger presence in the NW and Alaska, they are going to be a hot ticket. But I have been offered a good deal on a new Volvo D9 500hp for a new spec boat I am starting on this summer, so was just looking for opinions on the D9. I have already put down a deposit on the D9. I figured Volvo has been building them for about 10 years now, they should be a pretty good engine. And since the boat is 40', a little extra bulky engine is actually a plus in my book, it displaces 9.4 liters. Volvo also has good service available in Alaska, so that's another plus. And Volvo's seem to be popular in the NW/Alaska.

I think each manufacturer has pro's and con's in each displacement/HP category and in their ability to service the customer. I think Iveco has got the competition beat big time with their 6.7 liter engine. Their 9 liter is in competition with a very good 9 liter John Deere, a good 8.3 Cummins, and the Volvo D9. Their C13 is also competing with a good 13.5L Deere, 13L Volvo, and Scania. So I guess there a lot of things to consider before saying 1 engine is better than the other, or 1 is preferable over the other.
Perfect perspective Powder.

Top Bottom