Volvo Penta TAMD41 Engine - General Questions

PBianculli

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26’ Fortier
had a 41A originally that never ran right, messed with that engine for 5 seasons finally gave up and repowered with a 41P it was better than the A but still a gutless pos. I'll say i did put 5200 hours on the P model but i ALWAYS babied it and adding a pyro to it showed me how hot the exhaust would get with not much load on the motor. View attachment 107249
Steve, do you have any more pictures of that breather set up? I like that a lot

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Steve, do you have any more pictures of that breather set up? I like that a lot
I had a racor crankvent on the P motor and changed air filter to a K&N instead of the Wix air filter that fit inside the metal can enclosure. I'll see if i can find more pictures.

05bill

Captain
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
The TAMD 41A was the first model of the 41 line and its main flaw was low compression. This is the source of White cold start smoke. The white smoke goes away when the engine is warmed up. The after cooler design has a drain cock to dispel moisture. This little gem can cause the inter cooler to rock around and the hole where the drain comes out gets egged out and you lose boost. Only fix is a new housing. The lifters have a oiling rod that is sealed with an "O Ring". If the O ring wears out, too much oil is at top of head and oil leaks from valve cover. Many parts are sealed with O rings and need to be replaced to stop all the various leaks. The injector pump is easy to remove and time. The temperature guage will read high if the dash lights are on. The lift pump wears out frequently. Valves are easy to adjust. Use Green coolant. The MS style cone clutch is a POS. If it does not clunk into gear, then the cone clutch needs to be lapped or replaced. As a west coast boat owner, the engine sound is nice and sweet for those that like to troll for Tuna and Marlin. Those in the know, would run one engine slightly slower than the other to create a whine. For some reason marlin loved the sound and swam up to the exhaust pipe. The second version, known as the B, was a much improved model with different pistons, higher compression and 4 hole injectors and maybe a different turbo. Later model D, and P were further refined. I doubt if any A models really saw 200 hp. They like to run at 3,000 to 3,200 rpm, WOT needs to see 3,900 rpm.
out of curiosity;the 44 ,same block,, tamd 285 hp, kompressor turbo, same issues or less ?

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
out of curiosity;the 44 ,same block,, tamd 285 hp, kompressor turbo, same issues or less ?
think the KAD44 was 260hp. In general no to your question. First I've heard of the o ring thing. KADs without a kompressor is basically a 41 series.

05bill

Captain
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
think the KAD44 was 260hp. In general no to your question. First I've heard of the o ring thing. KADs without a kompressor is basically a 41 series.
That is what I thought . Thanks.

Tunacious

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Blackman
That is what I thought . Thanks.
Volvo got into to a HP war with Yanmar 4LH engines and started to adding the Kompressor to get higher HP. The KAD 43 had 230 hp and the KAD 44 260 as stated before. The guys I knew that had the KAD series did not like the rpm that the kompressor kicked in. The Kompressor was to add power on low end before the turbo spooled up. In so cal, the Marlin trollers used a switch to shut off the Kompressor when they were trolling at 7 to 9 knots, which is the rpm the Kompressor wanted to start up. The problem is that the Kompressor thinks the rpm will continue to climb as it would when coming up on plane. There were many failures from running at 1400 to 1600 rpm with Kompressor starting and stopping constantly. In essence, run it up to 3,200 rpm cruise or stay near idle rpm.
As to the 41 series, in order. 41A, B,D, P. The KAD 43 and 44 had the same basic block, but internals were different.
My brother re-powered a 28 Topaz and he bought a pair of 41A that were rebuilt to the B version. Had to buy new pistons anyway, so get the higher compression B pistons, new turbos, recalibrate the injector pump, new B injectors.

Top Bottom