Volvo QL Trim Tab System Problem

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by md2020, Jul 12, 2013.

1. md2020

md2020 Member

Hoping someone out there has seen this before, getting an Error Code-6, both green top lights blinking which means no communication between control unit and control switch panel. I have used a meter and verified all wires in Data Link have continuity. All connections are clean and tight, and system was working flawlessly all season. I tried to recalibrate but it will not move any of the blades before trouble code comes back on. There is definitely battery voltage at the control unit and power at the switch. Any thoughts or troubleshooting steps to take next?

Thanks for any info.

2. YoBo

YoBo New Member

Hi, Just wondering if you ever resolved this. I have exactly the same problem/fault as you had. The power to the control unit is there as well as continuity on the data link. I am thinking that maybe I need to change the control unit but don't want to buy a new one on the chance that may be the problem.

YoBo,
  3. Peter Timmins

Peter Timmins New Member

Im having the same issue did you ever get to the bottom of this problem ,if so how did you fix it
    Regards Peter

4. YoBo

YoBo New Member

Yes, I couldn't trace the problem. I even had a Volvo Penta engineer who was working on a boat next to me test the system with the vodia tool but no fault showed up. So, in the end I just bought a new control unit (the part with various sockets) and the system started working perfectly again.
    Good luck
    Paul

YoBo,
  5. Peter Timmins

Peter Timmins New Member

Thank You Paul
    Yes i have checked it out and it all points to the control unit 12 volts in and .6 of a volt out to the trim tabs so i will have to buy one.

6. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    Seriously considering installing these on my 38 Wesmac, now you have me a little concerned.

How old were your units when this occurred?

Are you happy with them otherwise?

Or, would you go with Zipwake?

Tonkatoys86 likes this.
  7. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Marine
    Boat Make:
    1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    Does anyone have any feed back on the Humphee system since Volvo purchased company? Does the Volvo QL product line still exist? And lastly how does this system compare to the ZipWake system?

8. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    No feedback. But talked to Wesmac and, for the most part, they are installing zipwakes. So I’m going with zip on my 38

Blitzen likes this.