Volvo QL trim tabs- anyone have any experience?

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I remember a thread a while back where they were recommended but the conversation didnt get down to the nuts and bolts of the efficiency/performance/ride improvements.

Anyone have any to report here? Pics of an install?

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

md2020

Ensign
Have had them on 35' RP for four seasons, different boat with them, fuel efficiency increased about 15% and ride is significantly better, brought bow down which was all I was after when installed. Overall they have held up well, couple issues but hey, 'it's a boat'... One thing to be SURE of is when installing interceptors/blades on stern make sure they are STRAIGHT otherwise you will have binding issues.....;)

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
The jury is still out with me on these units. There is no doubt that they will drop your bow for sure. Once the blade comes down, the amount of drag on the 90 degree sharp angle of the dagger blade really digs in, which also cause drag and drag can cause you speed.
The conventional trip tab offers a nice soft ramped entry of the tab into the water which lowers the bow but without that sudden sharp angle of drag.
If all you are looking to do is drop the bow without caring about speed then I guess these tabs are all you need.
A plus on a DE is also that they are easy to install after a build. Plus they do not hang off the back like tabs which are always in the way.
A few DE guys down my way installed them & they like the units, as it gives you an additional tool to trim the boat. They also confirmed that there was no speed increases & they really only used them when additional cockpit load was on board or into a heavy head sea & slow speeds.
Lastly on a new build which was a 27 Judge the Volvo tabs were removed for conventional units. On that build the owner was much happier with the conventional tabs, but the 27 Judge is not a DE.
I think if you are on the fence about trying these tabs. The rope trick is about as close as you can get to duplicating these tabs. You would be amazed how much the 1/4 rope across the back will drop your bow. Someday when you have nothing to do give it try with 1/8, 1/4, 3/8s

cb34

Rear Admiral
QL tabs

Experience is everything, had them on a boat for 5 seasons with no issue. Put them on my current boat work great. I do not care what hull your running, you will benefit by having them. It is nice to be able to change the running angle to match the sea conditions as well as balance the beam to weight variations. Very easy to mount with good controls. The verdict is not still out for those who have used them;)

136.jpg

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
This Spring im gonna be installing a set on the 35JC. When i have a deck hand and six guys in the back, my boat squats something awful. But with a 5/8" rope underneath cleat to cleat the bow comes right down and lets the boat glide along at 12-13knts. 5/8" is great for upto about 13.5 knts if i drop down to a 1/2" rope then the boat sits very happy at 14-16knts. Since i charter in LIS i dont need blazing speed so 12-13knts is perfect and easy on the $$.

Im gonna give them a shot!!

Tawn

Lieutenant
I have them on a 27 Judge. In three years, I have had two fail electrically requiring replacement. I will be changing them out for hydraulic Bennetts the next time one breaks.

They work awesome.......when they work.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
This Spring im gonna be installing a set on the 35JC. When i have a deck hand and six guys in the back, my boat squats something awful. But with a 5/8" rope underneath cleat to cleat the bow comes right down and lets the boat glide along at 12-13knts. 5/8" is great for upto about 13.5 knts if i drop down to a 1/2" rope then the boat sits very happy at 14-16knts. Since i charter in LIS i dont need blazing speed so 12-13knts is perfect and easy on the $$.

Im gonna give them a shot!!
If the rope work well on your JC 35 then these tabs are perfect you what you want to do.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I am putting them on my boat. I want to be able to control the L/R trim depending on who is on the boat and I think I have more power than I will be able to put to the water with my 20" prop and the Sisu hull is not a speed demon (efficiently anyway- so they say) so the speed or loss of it doesnt really bother me. Hope to combine these with some lifting rails to make her go as fast and efficiently as possible.

I think they will look better and not be in the way when fishing so I am trying them. Chris from Precision Marine (WharfRat) gave me a great deal on them too so I think its worth it while the boat is in my yard. I have had trim tabs on 3 boats and none worked not that I tried to fix them...

CB that is a sharp looking boat.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
On a RP35 and saves fuel? Tell me more? Pictures of where they are? Lifting rails on the RP35?

So please fill me in...

Fat Tuna? You have 4 units dont you?

I was looking, seems like they only make 2 sizes right? So for larger vessels need more units? Correct?

What was installed on the RP35? Please share.

Seems like if it saves money, golden $$$ only $700 in parts...

I want to quantify this with my Floscan this spring.

http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/VO-QL3841717.htm

Last edited:

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Shawn, this is exactly what I was talking about. I have seen non electrical units as well on larger boats, I think they were called invector system, something like that. Maybe intercepters? You have to loosen bolts to adjust, but bullet proof if you could find a happy spot or adjust before any given trip.

Interceptor Trim Tabs

Hydrotab%20transom.png

Hydrotab interceptor trim tabs use an innovative patented design to provide fast and efficient trimming for your boat. They operate with extreme accuracy and help you plane and control your boat better increasing fuel efficiency and comfort.

Hydrotab units are controlled with precision by a small air compressor which offers a plug and play installation without the use of hydraulics and electric motors. Designed to be an open self cleaning system, there are no sealed units and that is why we offer a superior 5 year warranty on the tab units.

These came up on a search for interceptor trim tabs.

Read more...

Open%20tab.png

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
There is a lot out there besided Volvo. Shit, you could make your own next time you ship out and are bored in the machine space.............

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Im sure it says somewhere but what kind of boat is Fat tuna?

That is quite a "lifting strake" almost on it? Probably didnt come out of the mold with that... hmm

Wondering if in our profiles we can easily put what kind of boat we have... I think the Hull truth has that...

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Im sure it says somewhere but what kind of boat is Fat tuna?

That is quite a "lifting strake" almost on it? Probably didnt come out of the mold with that... hmm

Wondering if in our profiles we can easily put what kind of boat we have... I think the Hull truth has that...
Shawn bobs boat is a 37 duffy he is a great guy and im shore would give you any info he could

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
See thats funny... because I remember looking at some of the first 37's that came out and I can easily be wrong but I do not remember seeing that hull with that strake if you will. Granted only saw one being built in the mold and sea trialed one down at the docks at the factory. I really liked how, correct me if I am wrong, but it seemed to almost a little flare on the bow didnt it? Them the tumblehome looks so sweet... I think one of the great looking hulls although as with anything there seemed to be some issues on the learning curve of speed/keel/walking etc. I still think figure 2000-2002 they were still learning about this hull. We heard how some of the tuna boats put on to big of a tower had to be cut down, we heard about one having to trim down on the keel because of being something along to to light and not balanced... I remember same time Wesmac had it happening on their 38 maybe. Hence why we went to build a NB36 which failed too as they got transferred to Mass.

Man I used to love going up to the yards to see all these things, all the work being done, etc. Ahh the smell of glass work and fine dust on your fingers...

Again, I can be wrong with hull designs and such but there cases were some I do remember seeing.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Shawn the boat was finshed at spencer yatchs in sc that lifting rails a one off deal i thing he loves her and she rides great he has her for sale but he fishes hard and wants more deck space she is one hell of a boat a real de sport boat if there is one

md2020

Ensign
I don't have exact specs CE, no flow scan but just by using GPS with gallons pumped over a season I have noticed gone from 1 gal/mile to about 1.2. I have four interceptors across the transom, two of the bigger ones and two smaller. The boat rides MUCH better with the tabs down, almost a different vessel. Came out of shop and rode extremely high in the bow, these tabs have instantly cured that, boat is much smoother, if I had know wouldn't have installed the lifting rails, feel they do very little on these hulls and are a PIA on the lift (Having had them bent more than once before I made up some blocks the yard uses now).

Top Bottom