volvo tamd41a

goody

Commander
Boat Make
Ellis 28 and Tripp Angler 22 C/C
good engine besides the smoking issue installed a parker racor 4500 ccv filter changed out filters today wondering if there was anything i could do to stop the smoking besides overhaul. Engine has 1300 hours on it i I don't feel no blow-by also engine fires right up no cranking 60+ oil psi
thanks,
goody

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
There is supposed to be some kind of spring in the turbo that gets stuck from lack of use. The stuck spring doesn't allow the turbo to spool up correctly. This is from recollection of stories I have heard. I never had to get mine fixed. I would try a few other things first to see if the problem is caused by something else that has simple remedies. Is your air filter clean. or is the engine laboring due to overweight or fouled bottom?

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

goody

Commander
Boat Make
tamd41a

no boat get used turbo had to be replaced turbo about 4 years ago i'm waiting on new air filter it's dirty but not terrible bottom is ok engine turns up 3700 rpm's

goody

Commander
Boat Make
tamd41a

uses some oil filters changed out today they looked good engine is a 1989 the hour meter reads 1300 hrs. had 1125 when i brought the boat owner said they were original hrs. ?

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Hammer Slammer

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
I own one also, in fact same vintage. The motor smokes and about the only thing you can do is a cetan additives to help. In addition to that i also installed a Salisbury transom muffler which redirects the exhaust down, under water. It's a very good motor.

goody

Commander
Boat Make
tamd41a

start up always does that just when running slow i got to look into that Salisbury muffler where can i get one because that is the only thing wrong with engine i do add additives to the fuel system

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
start up always does that just when running slow i got to look into that Salisbury muffler where can i get one because that is the only thing wrong with engine i do add additives to the fuel system

I would try using it more. The engine isn't even broken in yet and the you add the lack of use on to it.

goody

Commander
Boat Make
tamd41a

took air filter out today and left hatch open still some smoke so it was getting plenty of air i no the 41a is a known smoker i need some more info on that Salisbury exhaust system or any other idea's
thanks,
goody

Hammer Slammer

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
I would give Stacy at general marine a call, he used to put them on his boats. I am not sure that they are still available.

goody

Commander
Boat Make
tamd41a

thanks do you no the # or town general marine is located thanks again

Top Bottom