Commander
Lite User

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Spoke with the Portsmouth Harbor Master, going to his office today to get an application. You have to install the mooring yourself.
A mooring service provider in your area has the knowledge and equipment to do this. The harbormaster should have a list of authorized companies.

CaptMD

Commander
Lite User

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
Yes yes of course. I didn't mean I lterally install it myself, just that there aren't existing moorings there to use so more expense.
You shouldn’t need much up there. My buddy used a 150# mushroom on his 18 pointer and it was more than enough. Mud bottom and very protected

clearcan

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Rob
Boat Make
Starwind 19
I’m thinking of putting in a helix system. I feel like I should at least get the permit if it’s available

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
I’m thinking of putting in a helix system. I feel like I should at least get the permit if it’s available
helix is a strange animal. I know MSP (mooring service providers) that do helix and hate doing it. The install is very labor intensive. Also, inspections of helix systems are not really inspections. No one unscrews them to inspect. Now, very few helix fail...but I have heard of them failing (just this past summer in a sandy section on the cape).

clearcan

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Rob
Boat Make
Starwind 19
helix is a strange animal. I know MSP (mooring service providers) that do helix and hate doing it. The install is very labor intensive. Also, inspections of helix systems are not really inspections. No one unscrews them to inspect. Now, very few helix fail...but I have heard of them failing (just this past summer in a sandy section on the cape).
I have deep luscious mud, up the river here. Mushroom is another option for sure. But as a cheap previous sailor, I am always looking to save a buck and do it myself

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
I have deep luscious mud, up the river here. Mushroom is another option for sure. But as a cheap previous sailor, I am always looking to save a buck and do it myself
I've done many of inspection of the DIY,er. IMO money is saved up front in the installation and paid back with interest on the inspection or failure. Most municipalities don't allow it anyway.

ckinneavy

Lieutenant
Boat Make
21 Pointer
If you have any past military service or are a department of Defense employee. The MWR marina at the shipyard almost always has moorings available and sometimes even slips.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Morale, Welfare and Recreation. The Navy near us has a great marina and mooring field. I hear the politics can become an issue at times, especially if you have a retired rear admiral moving into the area that likes your slip;)

Jamato14

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
272 Grady White Sailfish
See if Rye Harbor has any unclaimed mooring blocks left. After the dredge project last winter they found a bunch which went as “unclaimed property” from the state. It didn’t work out for me since I had to move it and didn’t have a way to load or unload 2-4K lbs from my truck but they had plenty. I believe it was $500 for any size the state came up with an average cost for the removal and that covered it. There was a mix of concrete and granite and a mix of good shape with solid anchors to tie the chain to and some that would be like starting over. Depends what you have for equipment but may be worth checking out.
When I upgraded my current mooring I used Pepperell cove mooring services (both Maine and NH approved) and they were quick efficient and reasonably priced for a certified diver to place a new block, tie it to my existing and update a few things that broke in the process.

Members online

Top Bottom