Wash Down Pump

johna

Lieutenant
Boat Make
26 Fortier
I recently bought a 31 Duffy with a 450 Cummins and I am looking to install a dependable washdown pump with good pressure and water volume. Can anyone tell me what the best configuration is, engine driven or electric? Also piping arrangement and type of pump. Thanks.

John 40

Lieutenant Commander
My last two boats I've used the rule 17a electric pump. It delivers a high volume of water at low pressure. You would need a 11/2 inch water feed, the only downside is it draws I think 15 amps.

Roy-c

Commander
If you have power steering use a pacer pump. You can get the pump and hydraulic diverter valve at Rose's Marine in Gloucester. If not then use a belt driven ( or shaft driven ) pump with an electric clutch. There is no comparison between either one of these and an electric pump. Unfortunately there is no comparison in price either but you get what you pay for.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Johna,you could use a shur flow blaster ..that you can put a garden nozzle on ...has a lot of pressure....or the 17a rule which has a lot of volume...but like someone said before she draws 19 amps

gsous89

Lieutenant
the belt driven pumps that run off the engine are great.....when the boat is running. if you spend a lot of time sitting on the anchor while fishing go electric. the 17a is a good pump, but yes it draws a lot of juice.

F/V Risky Business

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
43 Donelle
If you have power steering use a pacer pump. You can get the pump and hydraulic diverter valve at Rose's Marine in Gloucester. If not then use a belt driven ( or shaft driven ) pump with an electric clutch. There is no comparison between either one of these and an electric pump. Unfortunately there is no comparison in price either but you get what you pay for.

This is the Only way to go. I use the belt driven off the electric clutch. When your steaming it's like a fire hose.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Roy and f/v risky have the best you can get and the olny way to go for bft fishing makes gutting a snap slice at gill stuff hose in ass and blow the shit right out the gills. No pulling

kmac

Commander
I have seen a few greenhorns hanging over the side chumming with what looked to be the business end of a pacer stuck up their ass. We called them Barf and Barfette.

johna

Lieutenant
Boat Make
26 Fortier
Thanks for all the good advice, I will price it up both ways. thanks guys!

Top Bottom