Wasps

DBaker

Ensign
First Name
Dick
We have a floating dock (3-20’ sections) and every spring a few (paper) wasps arrive and move into the dock sections. Of course they find there way into the nooks/cranny’s of any boat as well. This year they have multiplied. Exterminators could remedy the situation but they can’t use their spray/fog in a marine environment. The wasps are not in one spot,,, they are scattered throughout the 60’ of floating dock.
Any suggestions?

chortle

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
We have a floating dock (3-20’ sections) and every spring a few (paper) wasps arrive and move into the dock sections. Of course they find there way into the nooks/cranny’s of any boat as well. This year they have multiplied. Exterminators could remedy the situation but they can’t use their spray/fog in a marine environment. The wasps are not in one spot,,, they are scattered throughout the 60’ of floating dock.
Any suggestions?
I use this stuff, you can get it on Amazon. It is a concentrate that you have to mix with water and spray with a garden sprayer. It is safe around the water, won't harm the fish, only discourages insects. It is all plant based oils, designed for milking parlor pest control. If it rains a lot you will need to spray more often but once every two weeks or once a month is usually enough. I also spray it in the overhead and under the gunwales and along the dock lines to control spiders.

Essentria IC3 Insecticide Concentrate-1 Quart​

DBaker

Ensign
First Name
Dick
I use this stuff, you can get it on Amazon. It is a concentrate that you have to mix with water and spray with a garden sprayer. It is safe around the water, won't harm the fish, only discourages insects. It is all plant based oils, designed for milking parlor pest control. If it rains a lot you will need to spray more often but once every two weeks or once a month is usually enough. I also spray it in the overhead and under the gunwales and along the dock lines to control spiders.

Thx, I will look into Essentria!

Kenneth

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 - SeaArk 1860
Wasps are horrible here. Exterminators spray them with hot soapy water, I use brake clean and it will kill them on contact. Spray them at night and you will kill the whole nest.

Last edited:

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

DBaker

Ensign
First Name
Dick
Wasps are horrible here. Exterminators spray them with hot soapy water, I use brake clean and it will kill them on contact. Spray them at night and you will kill the whole nest.
My problem is there are lots of small nests (I believe) all inside the labyrinth of the floating docks. Access through 1/4” slots and no visibility.

DBaker

Ensign
First Name
Dick
If I had access to them/the nests I could do that. Like if you find a small nest inside your boat underneath an overhang you spray it at night and you’re done. But locating the nests inside the (enclosed) floating docks is impossible and if you found them getting spray on them would be quite difficult. Think fogging them with the herbal Essentria as Chortle suggested may be the answer. Especially when we have 2 dogs that are on the dock all the time.

Codcruncher

Rear Admiral
Lite User

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

DBaker

Ensign
First Name
Dick
Not sure how much room between the bottom of the dock and the water, but if you had enough clearance you could float a piece of Styrofoam under the dock sections with a wasp bomb or fogger after dark...just want to attach a line to the Styrofoam for retrieval....unless all the sides are closed to the water line of course
Interesting solution, will investigate that possibility.

DBaker

Ensign
First Name
Dick
Cheap Way to Kill Wasps | Homesteady

Borax, Under $5​

You can kill wasps cheap with Borax. Borax is made of boric acid and has been used as a safe household cleaner for over 50 years. A box of Borax costs about $5 USD, as of 2009. You may already have some in the house. Mix equal parts Borax and honey or corn syrup. Spoon the mixture into some old lids. Strategically place them close to the wasps nest. Wasps are lured in by the sweet taste of sugar, but are poisoned by the Borax.

I would try what I posted above, and also soaking the entire dock in Borax, a few boxes should do it. As a bonus, it also prevents rot.
I do have some borax (ants), can try that but my “wasp trap” attracted zilch and would guess it’s filled with sweet syrup. Thx

Latest Posts

Top Bottom