Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I think I know how this boat ended up on the hard as a project. :eek:

00j0j_4MgUHuNqow2_1200x900.jpg

ben2go

Lieutenant Commander
Care to elaborate? I'm looking for a small (26' under and trailerable) cabin cruiser for my mate and I. This seems about right.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Care to elaborate? I'm looking for a small (26' under and trailerable) cabin cruiser for my mate and I. This seems about right.
I believe he was joking around because of the name on the transom.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
No, not the name. If I am seeing it correctly there are two BIG holes in the transom that look like hawse pipes, but the cleats are located on top of the rail. :confused: If you tie that up to a dock with the stern exposed to any chop during a heavy down pour, she's a potential sinker in my opinion. I'm not knocking the boat at all. It's a great project boat and Wasque has a good reputation. Just be sure to get rid of those hawse pipes.......if that's what they are. That's kind of crazy. I have no idea if this boat sank or not. I'm just looking at the picture and thinking about what I see.

ben2go

Lieutenant Commander
I thought those were one-way scuppers for draining the deck of water. They are usually found on boats with a bit more freeboard and a bit more deck distance above the water line. It shouldn't be difficult to seal them up, drain the deck tinto the bilge, and use the bilge pump. I wouldn't want to be in rough weather with that set up though. As long as the boat is underway, the scuppers should drain fine. In a downpour while sitting still, maybe not.

Sleepwalker

Commander
I'm confused. Aren't the 2 rubber flaps just above the waterline covering the self bailing scuppers for the deck? So, what would the upper "hawse" things be that Keelboater refers to?

ben2go

Lieutenant Commander
I'm confused. Aren't the 2 rubber flaps just above the waterline covering the self bailing scuppers for the deck? So, what would the upper "hawse" things be that Keelboater refers to?
Ohhh, I see what you're seeing. I missed the two little black flaps at the very edges of the transom. I was thinking the oblong holes were the scuppers. I don't know what they would be for. I wonder if there are internal Samson posts for towing or something.

Albie Scott

Ensign
Boat Make
Ex 23' Marbleheader, 40 ' Royal Lowell/Carol Lowell Current boat 21' Wasque
No, not the name. If I am seeing it correctly there are two BIG holes in the transom that look like hawse pipes, but the cleats are located on top of the rail. :confused: If you tie that up to a dock with the stern exposed to any chop during a heavy down pour, she's a potential sinker in my opinion. I'm not knocking the boat at all. It's a great project boat and Wasque has a good reputation. Just be sure to get rid of those hawse pipes.......if that's what they are. That's kind of crazy. I have no idea if this boat sank or not. I'm just looking at the picture and thinking about what I see.
The two big holes in the transom are through hull chocks or hawse holes. The previous owner used it as a workboat and those were for towing lines. You can't see the cleats that were mounted to the coaming, they're gone, removed by current owner.
As for the cockpit scuppers, you would be risking both your life and the boat if you plugged them and ran the cockpit drains into the bilge. These boats are designed for fishing in rough water, rips and the like, and one could take on a large amount of water in the cockpit. If run into the bilge you'd need a really large pump capacity to get rid of it reasonably quickly. And if you didn't, the next wave might sink you.
I've had or used a number of different bass boats of this general size and design, and they all had similar cockpit deck scuppers. They work very well. I once got broadside in the mouth of the Merrimac during a bluefish blitz in a 23 'Marbleheader, and I think the wave that caught me dumped at least 300 gallons into the cockpit. That's 2.400 lbs. I immediately put the boat around, hit the throttle and got the bow up while she drained, but that was several minutes of very sluggish boat.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
The hawse pipes had to be there for a reason. Everything usually is. Thanks for clarifying. They sure do look out of place though, but I can understand something being job specific.

Albie Scott

Ensign
Boat Make
The two big holes in the transom are through hull chocks or hawse holes. The previous owner used it as a workboat and those were for towing lines. You can't see the cleats that were mounted to the coaming, they're gone, removed by current owner.
As for the cockpit scuppers, you would be risking both your life and the boat if you plugged them and ran the cockpit drains into the bilge. These boats are designed for fishing in rough water, rips and the like, and one could take on a large amount of water in the cockpit. If run into the bilge you'd need a really large pump capacity to get rid of it reasonably quickly. And if you didn't, the next wave might sink you.
I've had or used a number of different bass boats of this general size and design, and they all had similar cockpit deck scuppers. They work very well. I once got broadside in the mouth of the Merrimac during a bluefish blitz in a 23 'Marbleheader, and I think the wave that caught me dumped at least 300 gallons into the cockpit. That's 2.400 lbs. I immediately put the boat around, hit the throttle and got the bow up while she drained, but that was several minutes of very sluggish boat.
I bought the boat, and had Gannon and Benjamin rebuild the woodwork that was rotting away. Rub rails, cockpit coaming, windshield, etc.
Then I took the boat to Niemiec Marine, New Bedford for repowering. New Yanmar 110 hp diesel, shaft, prop, cutlass, and various bits an pieces.
Scheduled for launch and trials on June 22.

20201228_233410.jpg

Attachments

• 20201228_194905.heic
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • 20201228_195354.heic
    926.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20201228_195201.heic
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 20201228_193105.heic
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 20201228_193105.heic
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

Albie Scott

Ensign
Boat Make
I can't wait either.
Don't know why all the other photos didn't load.

Beauly

Lieutenant
Lite User
Boat Make
Dyer 29

Beauly

Lieutenant
Lite User
Boat Make
Dyer 29
Top Bottom