Wasque 26' Recently Sold

n4061

Lieutenant
I noticed a 2005 Wasque 26' recently sold up at CW Hood dealership. If the new or past owner is on line I would like to speak with you about the boat. I'm very impressed with the classic lines of the boat and interested to learn more about the boat in general. Thank you.

John T.

Wasque89

Ensign
I didn't buy it but I own one if you have any questions. great boat hands down

n4061

Lieutenant
Wasque 89, thank you for reaching out to us. I'm curious how you would describe the boat handling as compared to other "Downeast" boats? Hoe bd does does the boat squat when power is applied and how much bow rise (in degrees) do you get when at 15 knots or higher speeds? Does the high windshield with canvas top protect everyone aboard from the wind even those sitting all the way aft when underway? Can you hold a normal conversation at the helm with the engine running or do you need to raise your voice some? Why did you select the Wasque over other downeasters? How do you use the boat? What type of sea's do you normally run in? If you were to build a new Wasque today which options would be on the top of your list? Thanks again for your assistance.

n4061

Lieutenant
Wasque 89, thank you for reaching out to us. Please feel free to respond directly at [email protected].

I'm curious how the boat handles in different kinds of sea condition?

What is the "sweet spot" in speed which the boat provides the best ride?

How well does the boat hold up after 5 and 10 years (assumes your boat is at least 5 years old)

What is the best size engine for this boat?

What would do different or have on your must have list if you were to build a new boat today?

Do you think the cost of $250K is worth the boat or would you buy a used boat?

Thank you

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
can someone post a picture please? never heard of em. would like to see one. thanks.

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Here's the photo!

can someone post a picture please? never heard of em. would like to see one. thanks.

I found this image on Google Images for you.

images.jpeg

OLD BAY

Rear Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38

SHORT STEP

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Tripp / midland
wasque

I would also like to see a pic of the front of the cabin
bob

jojobee

Commander
Oldport Marine in RI has molds for this boat too. They produce the yacht club launches. This boat scoots with a 100hp diesel. I often had thoughts of purchasing a hull for a cente rconsole project. I'm more of an grey enamel paint person myself.

Aquinnah

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Wasque 26
I bought the 2005 Wasque 26 in Marblehead/Chris Hood boat and just launched her May 1, 2013. Good price, low hours, like new. She is awsome and is in Marblehead.
A little late to this thread but I just bought a Wasque 26 from Chris Hood as well and wanted to make the connection. I saw Magnolia there recently when I was up to check on my boat and she looks great- very much like the 2006 I bought. I will bring mine down to Annapolis in the spring.

icemang

Captain
Aquinnah, just curious but is your boat a Hood or is it an original Wasque from the Vineyard? I know Hood took over building them at some point but I have no idea when that happened. Thanks, just curious.

whitewater1787

Lieutenant
Boat Make
43 Lowell, 31 JC/Judge, 26 Wasque
I guess I have to join in here as well since I have a 1976 Wasque 26 I've been trying finish a restoration on. These boats are amazing riding boats, they are small in size for 26' but only in that respect. I think they ride better than some other more popular DE's in this size and even larger. Maybe a little wet in the right conditions but no worse than most others, they move along along nicely at 18-21 knots and burn no fuel. Old Ports launch version is certified for somewhere around 17 people (These are in many local ports including Block Island) I know the former owner and have ridden on the 2007 for sale at Hood and that's probably the quietest boat I've ever been on.

Good luck Magnolia and Aquinnah

There is a short clip of a 26 Wasque in the movie "The Proposal"

Aquinnah

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Wasque 26
Wasque

Thanks guys. Icemang, , mine was built by Hood. He got the molds through his uncle, Ted Hood, who got them from the original builders, Vineyard yachts. I see a few 32's from them , but not many 26's. I think Hood built most of the 26's still out there.

Whitewater, would love to see some pics of your restoration!

It is a great boat, and definitely handles the chop like a bigger boat.

icemang

Captain
Interesting short read from the Oldport Marine site about their launches. Didn't even know they exist until two minutes ago although I have read about Wasques in the past. The Oldport launches, despite being ~26', are not Wasque 26's, they are essentially scale models of Wasque 33's. (although if the 33 was essentially a scaled-up version of the 26 then I guess we are pretty much back to square one). Anyways, kind of interesting. Their 2014 update ends kind of abruptly but hey.

http://www.oldportmarine.com/uploads/2/5/5/8/25586821/oldport_launch_history.pdf

whitewater1787

Lieutenant
Boat Make
43 Lowell, 31 JC/Judge, 26 Wasque
Ice I'm not sure if Old Port has their own mold but their hull is very similar to Hood's. I know Hood has modified the hull somewhat from the original Vineyard mold and I think Old Port's have followed Hood's mods. The 32 (33) is a very different boat in many ways and rides very different from the 26. The only thing they have in common is both sizes had been built at Newport Shipyard back in the 70's and the 32 was built and used to tow around the 12 meters when they raced in Newport.

On a sidenote my very first exposure to a DE was in Newport around 1975 on a demo of a Wasque 26 that a friend was looking at and I was blown away at how good this thing "ate up" the chop. That friend went on to have one built to fish Striped Bass in Montauk. Most of these boats back then had 318 Chrysler V8s in them. There were few choices in small diesels back then.

icemang

Captain
Thanks ww. I have my eyes on boats in the 26-30 range for use in Buzzards Bay and some occasional overnights, so I'm just trying to suck up information on a lot of different boats.

Last edited:

OLD BAY

Rear Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38

Aquinnah

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Wasque 26
This is cool info.
I'm a big fan of Wasques, and have a 32'.
Interesting that the Oldport refs a Wasque 33 hull, since I've never heard of that size from Vineyard Yachts. I know hood made a 33' version in the late '90s, much wider beam (11' I think), heavier (13k lbs, where 32's are generally 8k lbs) and three pane windscreen (originals that I know of have 2 panes). I wonder if that's a typo or some cool, unheard of hull.

Thanks for sharing.
Old Bay, where do you keep your Wasque in Annapolis? I will have mine at the mouth of the south river this spring and have 2 local friends with 32's.

Top Bottom