Water in Skeg?

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
My boatyard told me that when they hauled the boat that water came out of the skeg. They also told me there is "flex" in that skeg which probably led to water intrusion over time.

There was no water coming out of the keel; only where the skeg met the keel.

Any suggestions what to look for/what to be doing?

They also removed the fiberglass rudder and found there was no shoe in the skeg; just a epoxy/glass pad that the rudder had sat on. What should I be doing there - I am replacing the glass rudder w/ a stainless one...

KBriggs

Ensign
Website
www.petitmananboat.com
my thinking is the skeg is filled with a filler material and is not 100 %water tight from there to the wet well its not uncommon for water to weep out of the skeg as long as there is no signs of delamination and you need a gudgeon bearing spelling may be wrong usually made of bronze should be sunk into the end of the skeg and bolted or some are glassed over hope this helps

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
What I have so far

It's a northern bay 36 and I didn't get any good skeg shots last week. You can see the lack of any bearing for the rudder in theses. Not thrilled about the rudder port either....

image.jpg

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Replace it with something that works better

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Travis do you have a picture of That shoe? Is it just a stainless cup with a flange welded to it?

KBriggs

Ensign
Website
www.petitmananboat.com
That looks like a cutlass bearing sleeve ,,
in the pic of the end of the skeg ,should be a gudgeon bearing and the upper bearing thru the hull should be a bronce rudder port stuffing box with a packing nut be sure there is a ground wire that connects the stuffing box bearing, rudder and gudgeon to a zinc

Last edited:

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Confused - the rudder bearing and seal is plastic and the shoe i also plastic but held in w. a steel flange? I can get this from Tides?

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Confused - the rudder bearing and seal is plastic and the shoe i also plastic but held in w. a steel flange? I can get this from Tides?

Only where the four fasteners go, that is dished out and has a metal countersink in the area to take the load from the fastener. Everything else is plastic and you glass the rudder port right into the boat. You set the skeg bearing (what you're calling a "shoe") with some hull and deck putty and fasten it in place with your rudder installed. Pretty straight forward really, everything self-aligns at that point and you're good to go. The rudder bearing and the shaft seal are a separate unit that screws into the rudder port and seals with a nice big fat O-ring. No packing, no electrolysis, no worries.

Top Bottom