Water in the bilge

Vahn

Ensign
Boat Make
Stanley
Also check the tech spec To make sure yours isn’t a 90. The ribs look like the 90 in your pic.

Joemas

Lieutenant Commander
Can you get a fibeglass unit or have one made
I guess I might be able to . For now I will loosen the clamps snug it up , reclamation and wait till defender gets them in .

Joemas

Lieutenant Commander
Also check the tech spec To make sure yours isn’t a 90. The ribs look like the 90 in your pic.
There is a part number obscured by the clamps . Once I back them off I will get it .

Joemas

Lieutenant Commander
Jamestown distributors has a 6” 45’ wet exhaust coupler, by Shields temp rating to 350. Looks just like the one you have. Says limited stock.
Wow that’s great . Just need to confirm the angle . The trident elbow is rated to 350 as well.

Joemas

Lieutenant Commander
So water source number three . Water pump housing leaking. There is a bolt in the plate inside that snapped . Sexond time this has happened .
new water pump tomorrow , snug elbow fix leaking wash down hose .
should have a much drier bilge .

Joemas

Lieutenant Commander
I finally solved the water in bilge issue . The trident 6 inch elbow coming off the turbo was leaking at the point where it was clamped to the 6 inch fiberglass exhaust tube . The end of the fiberglass tube had a crack about 4 inches long , probably by over tightening the clamps .
replaced elbow , cut fiberglass tube damage , extended the rubber hose at the aft end of the fiberglass exhaust tube to compensate for the removal of the damaged portion .
no water water in the bilge except for a misting spray coming off the dripless , which leads to my next question .
should there be even the slightest mist , from the dripless ??

Jjammer

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
36 Stanley / John Williams
No dripless shouldn’t mist once broken in

how old is it?

I believe PYI would tell you to tighten the bellows 1/4” and see if the misting stops — if you do that, you’ll need to replace the set screws

see here:

PYI Inc. | PSS Installation Instructions

Spray or mist during operation after the break in period:​

The dimensions provided in the "Bellow compression chart" are average figures and are provided as a guide. The EXACT compression amounts required can vary due to different types of engine mounts and water pressure being fed to the seal. If you experience any spray or mist following the break in period, make sure that the bellows had been compressed properly. If so, add an additional 1/4" of compression to the seal and soon the mist should disappear. Keep adjusting until the spray or mist stops.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
There should be a stainless steel anti crush sleeve fit inside the end of the fiberglass tube where the hose clamps are. If you do not have one there, your problem will start all over again. Warm fiberglass deforms much easier than cold fiberglass. The anti crush sleeve prevents fiberglass deformation at the clamping joint.

Joemas

Lieutenant Commander
There should be a stainless steel anti crush sleeve fit inside the end of the fiberglass tube where the hose clamps are. If you do not have one there, your problem will start all over again. Warm fiberglass deforms much easier than cold fiberglass. The anti crush sleeve prevents fiberglass deformation at the clamping joint.
Wow thanks . No anti crushing sleeve for sure but will add . Thanks

Joemas

Lieutenant Commander
Let me ask your advice . Coming off of turbo 90 degree 6 in trident elbow to approximately 36” fiberglass exhaust tube , aft end of tube attaches to muffler with 6 inch rubber hose approx 14” in length.
question is can’t I eliminate the fiberglass tube entirely and go with a full length of 6 in rubber exhaust hose from elbow to muffler

Joemas

Lieutenant Commander
Actually no that is not an option . I would still need the fiberglass coupling . I will just add the crush sleeves and maybe wrap the tube for some added noise reduction .

Top Bottom