Wayne beal repower

waynebeal36

Ensign
I have a 1999 36' Wayne Beal I use for chartering. Currently I have a Cat 3208T/A 435 hp that has blown a piston. HO Penn wants more than what the engine cost when it was brand new to rebuild it.
My fastest option to get back on the water is to rebuild it, but I feel I am putting money into old technology that will only fail again in a few years.
I do like the 3208 because I can do just about all the work on it myself. With the new engines I doubt that will be the case.
Cat (HO Penn) has no new engines to sell that would fit my configuration, and can only offer rebuilds of the newer electronic engines.
So if anyone has a Wayne Beal 36' what motor do you have. I know I will most likely have to change mounts and possibly shaft but I am not looking to spend the time to do a lot of new decking to fit a new motor.
Also I am looking to stay in the same HP range as I cruise at around 15 kts.
Thanks

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
I know of a couple with the c series 430 cummins.You can buy them as a factory recon,and they are not computerized.Whatever you choose,it will most likely be an inline 6,which will mean you will have more room around the sides of the engine.I have a 430 and like the way it runs,pretty good power,and I cruise 15 with a cage,at 2100 rpm.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I agree with Traditions.
The 6CTA 430 RECON (100% new) is a great value and a great motor.
Prop it to 2700, service it per the "Athen's book" and you'll be very happy with the motor.

You'll also save some weight over the 3208 and gain some space !

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
WB36,I had a WB36 with a 3126....It was a great package......also you can give Nick Stearling in MD a call he does a lot of cat rebuilds ......very reasonable 14109681989 .tell him mike from Long Island gave you his number....HO penn is out of control

waynebeal36

Ensign
WB36,I had a WB36 with a 3126....It was a great package......also you can give Nick Stearling in MD a call he does a lot of cat rebuilds ......very reasonable 14109681989 .tell him mike from Long Island gave you his number....HO penn is out of control
Thanks guys
Is he part of T&S marine in MD? I have talked to them and they have a good price on rebuilding my engine. But again I am not sure if I want to stay with this engine if I can get new power that is better on fuel and lighter than the big 8.
I will look into the cummins C6. I have a friend that has one in a Duffy but not sure what HP he has.

Top Bottom